Mid range strimmer

Treemover

Keep meaning bother to try soaking the strimmer line see if it makes a difference.

Dense lush grass thats flattened by rain /  is hard going with the 3mm stihl stuff I have atm

Fast in upright grass or weeds  but once grass has fallen over annoying...

Grass is is lusher and thicker this yr than average

100mm of rain in May last year was only 11mm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Keep meaning bother to try soaking the strimmer line see if it makes a difference.

Dense lush grass thats flattened by rain /  is hard going with the 3mm stihl stuff I have atm

Fast in upright grass or weeds  but once grass has fallen over annoying...

Grass is is lusher and thicker this yr than average

100mm of rain in May last year was only 11mm.

Try different lines/combinations as did round structure/fence line with 4 flexy blades then 2 techni blades for main grass.

Friend struggled with clumps of Sedge Shite where as Techni blade just shredded it to bits was like hey where's it gone.

Husky 343R picked up other day must have been sitting for long time as string just broke off quickly in just grass.

So fresh/keeping it moist sure helps.

It's nylon at end of day just like fishing line if left out in shop in likes of window it gets weak as UV effects it.

Also learn to twist the machine as you cut so tip it into which direction cutting can find that helps rather than just flat plane cut as it cuts and flicks rather than just cut and drop so clears but also keeps head speed higher.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this for anyone thats reading this thread and in the same dilemma. So I bought the Husky 535irxt with the BLI 300 battery and fast charger. I guess the reason I opted for it over the Stihl fs70ce was down to future proofing, along with the fact I would prefer to move into battery kit now. 

So even though the retailer has the Stihl on the day, and I left wondering if I bought the right tool; once I got it working and learned how to load the chord; there was no looking back.

I never wanted a beast of a thing. So for what I do, bits for myself where I cut grass with a tractor and flail, I just needed a strimmer to tidy up. So what I really like about the Husky is that is more or less is non stop. I never liked the bump systems, nor the system that you cut your chord and load a foot each time. Pressing the button on the joystick lets out a few inches of chord and you dont have to stop. So all that pain the arse stuff with fencing, concrete is now a joy. 

In fact I would nearly say, now strimming is enjoyable, as all that heartache and pain of loading and reloading is gone, plus an engine screaming. Vibes are def down, and this was another reason I opted for the husky. Im getting anywhere from 15-20 mins from a charge. Maybe even 25. But Im happy with progress. I feel I am able to do way more in those 15-20 mins. Im able to charge up - 50mins, while doing other tasks, and get back. So strimming isnt as daunting. 

• Like 3

On 25/06/2021 at 18:23, Treemover said:

Just wanted to update this for anyone thats reading this thread and in the same dilemma. So I bought the Husky 535irxt with the BLI 300 battery and fast charger. I guess the reason I opted for it over the Stihl fs70ce was down to future proofing, along with the fact I would prefer to move into battery kit now. 

So even though the retailer has the Stihl on the day, and I left wondering if I bought the right tool; once I got it working and learned how to load the chord; there was no looking back.

I never wanted a beast of a thing. So for what I do, bits for myself where I cut grass with a tractor and flail, I just needed a strimmer to tidy up. So what I really like about the Husky is that is more or less is non stop. I never liked the bump systems, nor the system that you cut your chord and load a foot each time. Pressing the button on the joystick lets out a few inches of chord and you dont have to stop. So all that pain the arse stuff with fencing, concrete is now a joy. 

In fact I would nearly say, now strimming is enjoyable, as all that heartache and pain of loading and reloading is gone, plus an engine screaming. Vibes are def down, and this was another reason I opted for the husky. Im getting anywhere from 15-20 mins from a charge. Maybe even 25. But Im happy with progress. I feel I am able to do way more in those 15-20 mins. Im able to charge up - 50mins, while doing other tasks, and get back. So strimming isnt as daunting. 

Not sure how long.many batteries needed to strim solar farms as with just strimmer is around 9hours +/- so think would be into days/weeks?

9 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Not sure how long.many batteries needed to strim solar farms as with just strimmer is around 9hours +/- so think would be into days/weeks?

I find this ironic! Battery powered strimmers for use at a solar farm. Priceless.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David Cropper said:

I find this ironic! Battery powered strimmers for use at a solar farm. Priceless.

Tried connecting to panels but 1000v @1amp didn't work!

But can connect to inverters with the right Trickery!

Places are like Forests have to watch not only for tigers in the long grass but elephants and giraffes to as so long!

Edited by AngrySquirrel
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

At this stage I would steer clear of the battery options. It is not great and won't last in a farm environment.

Personally I run 46cc Brushcutters and above and use them with a harness.
This puts you in to a Stihl FS460 and a Husqvarna 545rx/rxt range. I have both of these models and the bigger Husqvarna 555rxt that has the widest cut area, so it is good for dealing with brash, long grass and bigger areas and banks. The key benefit is they all have very good anti-vibe. ( Have and use all options listed here)

If you want a mid range you are looking at the 35cc range. which puts you into the Stihl FS240 and a Husqvarna 535rxt. The down side is that they have a smaller cut area, so task will take longer and the reduction in power will also slow down task as it won't mulch as much. But for just straight grass they will be great to use. Out of the two I would opt for the Husky because it has much better anti-vibe. You could also look at the husqvarna 525 range and they have there option 1x 'D' handle with anti vibe, which will be good at spinning around and edging. But I wouldn't want to do more open areas with a 'D' handle strimmer.  They also do 2x cow horn handle options. One with anti-Vide and one with out anti-vibe.. I would always go for the anti-vide option. (I have the Stihl FS240 and I don't use it because it does not have the anti vide and I will be selling it off for a Husqvarna 535rxt or a Husqvarna 525rxt 'D' Handle option).

So what would I go for?:

Big open areas of grass and brash: Husqvarna 555rxt.
General all around use for grass and brash: Husqvarna 545rx/rxt or the Stihl FS460.
Domestic large gardens for Grass and low grade brash: Husqvarna 535rxt.
Domestic Medium to Large gardens for Grass: Husqvarna 525rxt with anti-vide. (Cow Horns).
Domestic small to Medium gardens for Grass and edging: Husqvarna 525rxt 'D' Handle with anti-vide.

With the Stihl and the Husqvarna cow handle strimmer/brushcutter option. They feel very different to use. The Stihl feels easier initially, but I now prefer the Husquvarna. The Still clears more inferno of you from left to right and the Husqvarna clears from front slightly left to right. 

As for the strimmer heads. I have never got on with the new Stihl Strimmer heads because the line keeps melting and braking in the head. I therefore use the old style heads that work out expensive. The Husky heads are far better, last longer and work out cheaper.

I hope that helps..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2021 at 12:31, Jamie Jones said:

At this stage I would steer clear of the battery options. It is not great and won't last in a farm environment.

Personally I run 46cc Brushcutters and above and use them with a harness.
This puts you in to a Stihl FS460 and a Husqvarna 545rx/rxt range. I have both of these models and the bigger Husqvarna 555rxt that has the widest cut area, so it is good for dealing with brash, long grass and bigger areas and banks. The key benefit is they all have very good anti-vibe. ( Have and use all options listed here)

If you want a mid range you are looking at the 35cc range. which puts you into the Stihl FS240 and a Husqvarna 535rxt. The down side is that they have a smaller cut area, so task will take longer and the reduction in power will also slow down task as it won't mulch as much. But for just straight grass they will be great to use. Out of the two I would opt for the Husky because it has much better anti-vibe. You could also look at the husqvarna 525 range and they have there option 1x 'D' handle with anti vibe, which will be good at spinning around and edging. But I wouldn't want to do more open areas with a 'D' handle strimmer.  They also do 2x cow horn handle options. One with anti-Vide and one with out anti-vibe.. I would always go for the anti-vide option. (I have the Stihl FS240 and I don't use it because it does not have the anti vide and I will be selling it off for a Husqvarna 535rxt or a Husqvarna 525rxt 'D' Handle option).

So what would I go for?:

Big open areas of grass and brash: Husqvarna 555rxt.
General all around use for grass and brash: Husqvarna 545rx/rxt or the Stihl FS460.
Domestic large gardens for Grass and low grade brash: Husqvarna 535rxt.
Domestic Medium to Large gardens for Grass: Husqvarna 525rxt with anti-vide. (Cow Horns).
Domestic small to Medium gardens for Grass and edging: Husqvarna 525rxt 'D' Handle with anti-vide.

With the Stihl and the Husqvarna cow handle strimmer/brushcutter option. They feel very different to use. The Stihl feels easier initially, but I now prefer the Husquvarna. The Still clears more inferno of you from left to right and the Husqvarna clears from front slightly left to right. 

As for the strimmer heads. I have never got on with the new Stihl Strimmer heads because the line keeps melting and braking in the head. I therefore use the old style heads that work out expensive. The Husky heads are far better, last longer and work out cheaper.

I hope that helps..

Good post- but real men take the guards off 🤣

Always, always pay the extra for the anti vibe.

• Haha 1

I realise this is an old thread but Stubby that is a good shot!

We mostly use ego these days for battery blowers, strimmers and hedge cutters. We do have a big old Stihl brushcutter, husqvarna brushcutter, plus tanaka strimmers and husqvarna strimmers. 

However the ego strimmers especially with the powerload heads (including automatic line loading) are extremely light weight and very good for edging and strimming around fence posts, light bollards, etc.....

While strimming can be a nause, its less of a pain with the ego. They have a fair range of machines as well. Plus commercial and I believe they do a carbon fibre version as well. 

• Like 1