Converting scissor to ram?

Paddy1000111

Has anyone ever converted a scissor ram to a proper ram? I spent ages finding the right van and the only crap bit is the scissor type ram. It barely tips with chip up to the drop sides let alone with hoarder boards! 

It's an ingimex bed if that helps! 

Edited by Paddy1000111

I had a scissor lift on a cabstar and it was fine no matter how much you put on it, i dont know what truck you have ? may be a photo or 2 of the set up as, i have all ways found scissor lifts to be better than just a ram, i think i would be checking the pump pressure first as if you change to just a ram system to cure the problem you might be in a worse situation than when you started, If you cant check pump pressure just pipe your truck to another loaded truck, if it tips ok, pump is fine, if it dosent tip, pipe from other truck to your tipping gear to use the other trucks pump if this tips ok, its your pump set up, the pumps are not mega expensive and they dont last forever now a days like they used to,

• Like 1

Maybe it's an issue with the system then? The pump runs and it tries to lift and then I think an overpressure valve kicks in and it won't tip but the pump runs on. It's a 2016 transit single cab with a full length ingimex bed. 

Here's a photo of a sprinter with the same bed. Maybe I'll get a spec sheet from them for pressures and get a pressure guage! 

Mercedes-Sprinter-Tipper-Ingimex-16.jpg

That i would say at that age should tip what your saying no trouble at all, you say it trips out on a pressure relief valve, they can be turned up or down and set at a given pressure, it this truck has come out of a big co or council depot, it may well be turned down, as to make sure the truck was not overloaded, what ever the pay load is the valve will be set just below that, i had a very simular problem several years ago, with a spool valve on a log crane, would not lift very much at all, so bought myself a hydraulic pressure gauge and put it in back of tractor tested it there, 2000psi put the same gauge on a pipe on the trailer and 1050psi, turned the pressure relief valve up till we got to 2000psi on crane problem solved , gauge is about £10 and worth having in my eyes, i think this will be your problem, as that body when made and fitted will of been tested, and the other thing is there is a lot of the younger generation out there who have not got a clue what they are doing with stuff like this and some one could of been arseing about with the valve, but looking at your set up, it looks right to me as main lift point is forward of centre, have a look at the pressure valve first,

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 23:28, spuddog0507 said:

I had a scissor lift on a cabstar and it was fine no matter how much you put on it, i dont know what truck you have ? may be a photo or 2 of the set up as, i have all ways found scissor lifts to be better than just a ram, i think i would be checking the pump pressure first as if you change to just a ram system to cure the problem you might be in a worse situation than when you started, If you cant check pump pressure just pipe your truck to another loaded truck, if it tips ok, pump is fine, if it dosent tip, pipe from other truck to your tipping gear to use the other trucks pump if this tips ok, its your pump set up, the pumps are not mega expensive and they dont last forever now a days like they used to,

Scissors being better than rams is exactly the opposite of what I’ve found.

Every scissor tipper I’ve used has been weak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Scissors being better than rams is exactly the opposite of what I’ve found.

Every scissor tipper I’ve used has been weak.

Same here in my limited experience . Ram is better .