Converting scissor to ram?

Paddy1000111

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Clearly wot the pump pushes out or they  would not fit that. K

Not sure if the scissor mechanism can handle what the ram can put out though? I don't mind going over 10% but a scissor failure from a crack or something could have a whole bed slamming down on the chassis which would cause god knows how much damage

10 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Not sure if the scissor mechanism can handle what the ram can put out though? I don't mind going over 10% but a scissor failure from a crack or something could have a whole bed slamming down on the chassis which would cause god knows how much damage

True, but once its up you can check bushes n brackets easily, think the engineering in the scissor will be beefy enough, not known one to fail myself. I think its eaither set too low a pressure or you have a fleck of stuff in the valves. K

I'd say your pissing into the wind unfortunately.... Pissy scissor ram Vs 5stage ram....

5stage ram sits in a cradle aswell so subframe different. I had to up the power on my 5stage ram as it couldn't handle the loads we give it.... Rust turned it up on the relief valve. 

If your backs good I'd flog it on eBay and source a more appropriate one with a 5 stage. Easiest way

• Like 1

To be fair to it, it's tipped what I've had in it the last 4 days so it seems to have got better. 

I was hoping to not have tool storage that tipped but I'll see how it goes. The bed is immaculate so it seems a shame to swap it because of the ram. Ideally I want 2-3ft cut off and tool storage installed. It's probably overloaded anyway but if I can keep the overloading to under 30% then at least it's just a fine... 

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would revisit this if anyone else stumbles across this thread. I flushed the system through by disconnecting the top arm and compressing the ram with a strap. Replaced the oil with iso32/32hv. I took the pins out which were corroded in and everything was very stiff and gave the pins a spin on the lathe with some Emery and cleaned the bores by hand. Stuck some grease on all of it when I put it back together again. I didn't bother checking the pressures but loaded it up with compost from a nearby recycling place that has a weighbridge. They overloaded it and when I asked for 800kg I got 1800kg . Amazingly it tipped it without an issue, not bad for a scissor! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Just thought I would revisit this if anyone else stumbles across this thread. I flushed the system through by disconnecting the top arm and compressing the ram with a strap. Replaced the oil with iso32/32hv. I took the pins out which were corroded in and everything was very stiff and gave the pins a spin on the lathe with some Emery and cleaned the bores by hand. Stuck some grease on all of it when I put it back together again. I didn't bother checking the pressures but loaded it up with compost from a nearby recycling place that has a weighbridge. They overloaded it and when I asked for 800kg I got 1800kg . Amazingly it tipped it without an issue, not bad for a scissor! 

That's the beauty of maintenance 🙂

• Like 1