18 year old single malt .

Stubby

Out of the still at 68% ? Ours exits at 80.5 - 81.5%, but yes we cask at 63.5%. I guess that's one of the differences between Irish triple distilled and Scottish double. At bottling time, we dilute either to 43.6% for our standard range, or for special or unusual finishes, our blender decides at what strength its best flavours arise.

My Boka hits the 90’s when in full reflux. But then you’re stripping all the flavour out. At 94-95% it evaporates on your tongue but still tastes a little bit sweet.

For whisky you just remove half the copper scrunches. [emoji16]

Got some 5 year old in Mason Jars at home it’s getting there. :)

(All at home in Russia of course)

On 10/04/2021 at 20:06, Mike Hill said:

What Whisky I like depends on my mood.

I agree with Andy that JW Green lable is great for the money,Aberlour 18 is nice.I think I have tasted a 25 from them too.

At the end of the Day Whisky is 40% Alcohol  and 60% bullshit.

I went to loads of Whisky tastings before covid,mainly to try different stuff but the real entertainment is tossers trying to outdo each other with descriptions. 

" I detect notes of smokey wet granite and burnt tweed" etc

20210410_210147.jpg

You would enjoy the Gordon's Gin advert that Philip Glennister did

My Boka hits the 90’s when in full reflux. But then you’re stripping all the flavour out. At 94-95% it evaporates on your tongue but still tastes a little bit sweet.

For whisky you just remove half the copper scrunches. [emoji16]

Got some 5 year old in Mason Jars at home it’s getting there. smile.png

(All at home in Russia of course)
Jeez that sounds pretty frightening. I struggle to get the tastes at the higher strengths. It sort of anaesthatises the tongue and taste buds. Our blender reckons if I taste these regularly enough I'll adapt. I'll chicken out and just enjoy the lower percentages.
In all honesty I know practically nothing of what happens in the distillery - that's on a different site from me and the maturing warehouse. To me it's just a very expensive chem lab. Now my warehouse....that's where the magic happens.
  • Like 1

OK . The 18 year old Highland Park Viking Pride arrived today . Having the first sip now .  Very pleasant I must admit . A lighter ( colored ) whisky than the Aberlour  . I'm no expert as I have said before but my initial reaction would be to say its less complex in all the hidden flavors than the Aberlour in as much as there is less going on in my mouth and around my tongue but that is not nessaserily in a bad way . Less " burn/warmth " down my breast bone if you know what I mean but very pleasant all the same  . Perhaps its a little smokey ? and subtle . The Aberlour  is more complex I feel making you concentrate on it  whilst the Highland Park is more casual and easy to enjoy with out having to concentrate on it . Does any of that make sense ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skc101fc said:

Out of the still at 68% ? Ours exits at 80.5 - 81.5%, but yes we cask at 63.5%. I guess that's one of the differences between Irish triple distilled and Scottish double. At bottling time, we dilute either to 43.6% for our standard range, or for special or unusual finishes, our blender decides at what strength its best flavours arise.

I think so, Auchentoshan (a triple distilled Scottish) comes out @ 81%(ish) too.

I like their '3 wood' standard, the other (IMO) are a bit thin. The cask strength (only available at the distillery) is fantastic.

Do you mature in different casks or are you purely oak  ?

I enjoy Beer with a Whisky chaser.

I tried a Lager thst I bottled a month back with a dram of this Canadian Whisky on the side.

The dry hops of the lager combined with the sweetness of Rye Whisky are a great combination.

One Whisky tasting I went to,the host put a Bourbon on the table as a wild card.All the twats were wanking on about it being a Scottish blend when it was actually some shite from a supermarket in the midwest.

20210416_214323.jpg

• Haha 1

I think so, Auchentoshan (a triple distilled Scottish) comes out @ 81%(ish) too.
I like their '3 wood' standard, the other (IMO) are a bit thin. The cask strength (only available at the distillery) is fantastic.

Do you mature in different casks or are you purely oak  ?
No different speciality casks (yet), everything in oak. Using standard ex bourbons, virgin American oak, ex cognac, ex Bordeaux, ex port, ex sherry, ex rum, retoasted Bordeaux, lots of different American ipa's and stouts - we do collaborations with a growing number of USA breweries. Hopefully getting some Japanese oak casks in the next month. Reputedly real problems to keep from leaking. Also doing some of my own shaving and retoasting/charring for experimental stuff.
  • Like 1