Funny grooves

gobbypunk

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys why am I getting these grooves every 6inches or so do I need a new bandDSC_0887.jpeg

Are you getting a series of groves that are spaces out every 6" or so? How long is the series of groves? Its very hard to tell whats actually going on by that picture. Could be a bad set on one or more teeth but Id expect the groves to be more constant unless you're pushing the mill like hell?

Are you operating with only one band? You get 2-3 hours out of a Band, half a day if you've the cleanest bark free logs. Surely you have a few other new, or re-sharpened bands kicking about that you could try to see if that solves your issues? 

So yeah changed the band set the tendion with the tq wrench and still getti g the same its a band of groves about 6inch wide every foot or so ,and the mill is vibrating a bit much any ideas I will take a vid on monday to see if that helps,doing my head in I have a nice big butt of Walnut next so dont want grooves in it

Thanks Mark

Thanks 

Most cuts I make on the mill have that finish to a greater or lesser extent depending on type of wood I’m cutting. I’ve seen a pile of elm slabs cut to 1”from a computerised woodmizer and they had the same. 
Im no expert but i have found with my 130 if the blades set at the correct torque and sharp it will cut accurately all day no problem. The finish is often worse than good high standard chainsaw milling but that’s been mentioned many times before on here. 

10 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

So yeah changed the band set the tendion with the tq wrench and still getti g the same its a band of groves about 6inch wide every foot or so

Have you tried over-torquing? Its not gonna damage anything over a few passes and will eliminate torque being an issue. Keep in mind the Ripper Blades are not welded square and slightly shorter on one of the faces to keep them running true. I slightly over-torque my Rippers. The manufacturers torque is more of a guide than a maximum setting. 

and the mill is vibrating a bit much any ideas

Sounds like you've had issues setting this mill up from the outset. Id be starting there to be honest. Sounds very much like you need someone who is handy mechanically to come and give you some pointers. 

I have a nice big butt of Walnut next so dont want grooves in it

How deep are the groves? They look minimal and will be planed out when the timber is dry anyway. As long as the mill is cutting accurately over the full length then Id not overly worry about a few groves. Its the constant vibration issues you've having Id be concerned about. 

,So when I first set the mill up it was fine then one of the feet came loose so sorted that and went all round the mill giving every nut and bolt a quick tweek so I just cant understand whats going on ,I did try over tension ,looked at tracking ,saying not to worry and other mills produce this sort of finish ,well when I first had mine  it was doing such a good cut I only needed 120 on a sander so obviously I want that back

Post on the woodlands facebook page mark as without seeing it up close its pure guess work.Others will have had the same issues and the facebook place will have the answers.

Can only be one of a few things causing it.Blade tension-guide bearings ect  

Edited by topchippyles