Funny grooves

gobbypunk

11 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

,So when I first set the mill up it was fine then one of the feet came loose so sorted that and went all round the mill giving every nut and bolt a quick tweek so I just cant understand whats going on ,I did try over tension ,looked at tracking ,saying not to worry and other mills produce this sort of finish ,well when I first had mine  it was doing such a good cut I only needed 120 on a sander so obviously I want that back

The equally spaced  lightly grooved lined pattern is what I’ve had with mine from day one, it’s more visible on some types of wood than others. The grooves are visible but so shallow if it’s a dressed beam I’m after I find one pass with the planer set at .5mm is enough to remove them all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Should not be getting ripples like that though.Have you tried various cutting speeds on the throttle 

As I posted earlier i was looking at a load of elm boards cut from a set works equipped woodmizer and they were pretty much the same.

Mind you I’m not too  fussed about the ultra smooth finish and do tend to push on a bit with the cut. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi Les no I havent thought of that ,where should I be with it not flat out but near would be my guess ,do you think Chris would come down and have a look,I will take a vid on Monday

I would be varying the blade cutting speed and the speed of cut through the log.It may well make a big difference depending on how hard or soft the logs are but a new blade set correctly should be fine.Chris will not come out as he is just an agent but woodlands do have service engineers who have fleet vans. Just document and photo things but i would certainly email chris and speak to him as he may well have come across this various times before. 

8 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

As I posted earlier i was looking at a load of elm boards cut from a set works equipped woodmizer and they were pretty much the same.

Mind you I’m not too  fussed about the ultra smooth finish and do tend to push on a bit with the cut. 

Sounds like you guys are really hammering through the logs as a slower cut may prevent this easily enough.Think about if the log is very well seasoned and you are really forcing the saw its bound to be putting pressure on the cutting performance.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi Les I dont think I am pushing to quick comparing to the vids I have been watching I dont vary the revs that much ,so Woodland have guys in this country any idea how I get in touch with them.

Speak to chris mate he is the main guy to deal with.

On 25/01/2021 at 16:08, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys why am I getting these grooves every 6inches or so do I need a new bandDSC_0887.jpeg

Few pics of the finish on mine too. Whilst visible they are so shallow it takes nothing to get rid of required. Brand new blades, tension is spot on with it tracking fine on both wheels. Oak, Elm and Cherry. 

739E5C83-F758-4A08-9F89-8709C23399EF.jpeg

8262498E-319D-4F55-B0BE-86BE63832764.jpeg

93CA5B28-3691-4906-B503-33835DCCA44D.jpeg

Edited by Johnsond