Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
daveindales

Central pivot stump grinding

Recommended Posts

So, I used to have a Rayco RG25, and grinding was hard work. Looking at a new grinder with central pivot. Never used one before, but wondering just how much easier does it make it using a central pivot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daveindales said:

So, I used to have a Rayco RG25, and grinding was hard work. Looking at a new grinder with central pivot. Never used one before, but wondering just how much easier does it make it using a central pivot?

Easier on the bottom of the back going by videos on utube. I hired a stump grinder and used it all day many years ago and lay in bed shaking all night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my Praxis grinder is old skool and u have to engage a handbrake on one of the wheels and manually sweep the machine from left to right,  it is hard work but it gets the job done. central pivot will be much better no doubt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one of those root saw blades for my stihl saw. I'm going to try that and my chainsaw to see if its any easier. I watched a brick layer take a few inches off of a foundation I had laid to high. He cut slots on the concrete and hit the side of them and they simply broke off. Not sure if the base of a tree is any harder than the rest or because its next to earth which blunts the chainsaw. 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I bought one of those root saw blades for my stihl saw. I'm going to try that and my chainsaw to see if its any easier. I watched a brick layer take a few inches off of a foundation I had laid to high. He cut slots on the concrete and hit the side of them and they simply broke off. Not sure if the base of a tree is any harder than the rest or because its next to earth which blunts the chainsaw. 🤔 

If you're talking Terrasaur type, while they're fantastic cutting tools, I've not had great success using one to lower stumps, as they tell you on the packaging. The theory is good, but in my experience, in practice not so good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter 1955 said:

If you're talking Terrasaur type, while they're fantastic cutting tools, I've not had great success using one to lower stumps, as they tell you on the packaging. The theory is good, but in my experience, in practice not so good. 

Aye sounds too good to be true but I will give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tim361 said:

I had a predator 450 and now have an FSI B22. The difference is night and day, and your body will thank you for it. 

I am thinking of making this exact machine change - do you miss the extra power of the 450? Or just happy that it’s easier on the body! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.