The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I'm looking to join the club, I'm having a CS100 demo'd a week on monday, should have a good range of bits coming down on the site the tail end of next week (broadleaf, conifer, and there's some Oak and Yew I put down on the site a month or so back).

I'm pretty excited, but having read through this and Shreks thread, I do find myself in two minds with the Greenmech vs the Jo Beau. Of all the things to sway me (and I'll continue to lie to myself that it's because I have a really good local Greenmech dealer), is it wrong that it's because I've already thought of a really cool name for a CS 100 being the key factor in choice!

Tim, Soon to be apply for membership, I hope!

if you have a good local dealer and the product is good then the decision should be made surely.:thumbup1:

I have the older GMR100 and really rate it highly, the CS100 is even better me thinks as the engine is mounted in a better location and does not get covered in chip like mine does. I'm more than happy with a pull start only motor as it's only 14hp, the CS motors are more powerful and come with electric start.

• 2 weeks later...

So, on Friday, I took down an old Oak on it's last legs, 4 stems from two multi-stemmed Katsura, and half a Cypress. Stacked it all up neatly, with some stuff in there that me and my groundie (Paul) agreed 'if it takes that, it's the nuts', we also said if it does that in 2 hours i'll be impressed.

Today, we had Alistair from Greenmech up with an 18hp CS100. We met at 9.15. spent a good half hour looking over the machine, how to access the drum, blades, belts etc. chipped some stuff which was lying since December, then the pile from Friday. I left Paul to it to watch how he was using it, how it should be done (Alistair), and what it was dealing with. The pile was finished and the machine back on the trailer by 10.30.

Having read through this post I was expecting it to be good. I was not however expecting it to be half as good as it was. I was thoroughly impressed by what I have seen, the build quality, the ease to move it, everything about it. The only problem I have is affording it, (the money I had put to one side just bought a new boiler!) but it's not a case of if, it's a case of when!

Thanks to Alistair for coming over and Ted from Hamilton Brothers for arranging the demo. A club application is on it's way!

• 2 weeks later...

I have ummed and ahhd about getting a cs 100. I finally took the plunge and picked mine up from orange at Cannock on Monday, it's a bit of a trek for me but I managed to get a MTB ride in, anyhow the guys at orange were fantastic, they went through everything, they even showed me how to change the blades!

I have used it on a job for the first time today and it's better than I could of imagined.

So glad I took the plunge.

Thanks to all the guys at orange plant and also arb talk for some top info.

Had to take mine to Aberdeen to process a Christmas tree we sent up there. Lifted it up onto the van (13' flatbed) and chipped onto it too. No need for a trailer. Battery has died since I last used it so had to to the pull start. A very handy addition! Especially when your 350 miles from base at 6.30am on a Saturday!

You took a 700 mile round trip to chip 1 Christmas Tree ???

• 3 months later...

Don't discount the Jo- beau range of little chippers, had my M300 for a few years now and it's still going strong. Changed the blades this morning for next job. Greased up, tensioned belts, and gave it a wipe down inside an hour. I'd thoroughly recommend one, but I'd equally recommend the Greenmech range also, they are both superb at what they do. :thumbup1:

Don't discount the Jo- beau range of little chippers, had my M300 for a few years now and it's still going strong. Changed the blades this morning for next job. Greased up, tensioned belts, and gave it a wipe down inside an hour. I'd thoroughly recommend one, but I'd equally recommend the Greenmech range also, they are both superb at what they do. :thumbup1:

Aye Andy I love my little jo beau 300 . Good seeing you fit and well on saturday matey :thumbup: