The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

5 hours ago, stewmo said:

I was thinking about this blade sharpening every 20 hours or so..... Isn't it possible you could clock that up in a busy week? Or am I missing something about 'hours'?

And therefore 300 hours could make a machine, even at 10 hours a week, just 6 months old? 

Thanks

Depends on the machine, but twenty hours of chipping over a week of domestic work takes some doing. Some jobs you'll do well if you clock up an hour a day. 

• Like 1

Indeed,  physical blade contact with wood for 20 hours is quite a long period of time.

When your blade edge and angle is also your "feed roller" its important to keep them tip top. A flat knife on a hydraulic feed roller machine will still turn cord wood into some sort of chip if they're blunt as a spoon.

On a hydraulic feed roller chipper a full time domestic tree surgeon will usually rack up between 150 and 200 hours a year. Its surprising the lack of hours a chipper does. We hire them out and they'll often come back with 1 additional hour on. 

Rail contractors maybe will do 400, we have a 2019 SafeTrak in for repair / service at the moment and that has 351 hours. I would class that as pretty high hours for a machine less than a year old. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stewmo said:

Interesting stuff. Thanks it seems hard to believe but can’t argue with your experience.

Anyway so say 1hr a day, 5 days a week, that’s going to be a sharpen every 4-6 weeks. I’m just trying to get a gauge that’s all, cheers

I have two 150mm hydraulic chippers just come back in off a lease. One is 2 years old and has 201 hours, the other is 2.5 years old and 340 hours.

I don't know anyone who uses a CS100 or a similar gravity chipper 5 days a week for a month?  If they have that much small chipper work then fair play!