The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

• 2 weeks later...

On 29/10/2019 at 14:49, quillhallarb said:

Hi all please see my ad for cs100 for sale, has a new engine and in good general condition.  is a useful machine but my only chipper currently and not the most practical for the bulk of work we are getting need to free up money/space for a bigger chipper

18 hp replacement engine, recent service belts and blades, spare set of blades, old engine for spares, well maintained and greased regularly, rarely used until last few months.

£ 3800 no offers, would ideally like an exchange for bigger, ideally sub 750 6inch chipper, willing to take on projects/spares repairs in px either way.  Ask me?

Thanks 

Deano 

IMG_0254 3.jpeg

My Jo Beau M300 tried to eat itself Monday morning.  I'm as sure as I can be there was no stone or metal chucked in - the material was brush fresh cut by polesaw and stacked on grass although a gravel drive was feet away.

I'm wondering if I'd overtightened a nut or perhaps there was simply an unforeseeable inherent weakness in the metal.

I think I got lucky with the outcome; no damage to even the other blade, the anvil, the drum as far as I can tell and no debris left in the machine!

20191112_175536.jpg

Edited by nepia

They look a bit like mine did! Mine ended up with dented anvil (which I cleaned up) and drum bearing outer race and housings cracked.

I was working with a group of volunteers at the time next to the village pond, I have no idea if something hard went in or if the bearings went first. The chipper is of indeterminate age and second engine so if they were original bearings had done well.

My other theory is that I had chipped a couple of dead elms a few weeks before and that may have weakened the blades, they are much thinner than on a 6"chipper so could have started fatigue cracks.

Either way I don't like chipping dead stuff now, too risky given the hassle.IMG_20180410_213247.jpeg

2 hours ago, javelin10 said:

I doubt a stone would do that kind of damage; maybe a lump of steel perhaps, but more likely that looks like a defect in the blade. Is that an original or aftermarket number? Judging by the elongated outer holes (which I'm sure mine don't have on my M500) they are not original.

My suspicion is that the fault is mine via overtightening the bolts with an impact wrench; I've gone easier on the replacement bolts!  I'll still use the wrench though; the socket doesn't round the bolt corners.

The blades are original bought from Global.  They've always had elongated outer holes; the centre hole is round which centres the blade fine.

The GM CS100 blade screws are torqued to 27nm. Even then after being in for a year they can be tricky to extract. I doubt other gravity chippers are *that* far apart. Mr Kipling, what was the torque setting on yours?

Always make sure your blade back and drum / flywheel face is super clean before fitting. A bit of dirt plus winding the screws in too tight could easily be the cause of a cracked blade. Blob of copper ease on each screw too :) 

• Like 2

It was a while ago and I think it was about 70nmbut the impact wrench was nearer 400nm. Blades looked fine but after a while chipping one shattered and when I checked the other one it was all cracked up. This in on one of those generic chippers, [power up]I think it’s called