Splitting Logs .... On ground or on a log??

Witterings

12 hours ago, Stere said:

haha this

?

I prefer a few  chopping blocks scattered around  but will split on ground also.

Best to keep back a few seasoned rounds of hardwood.

Some actaully selling  phone pole as chopping blocks on ebay ?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find great deals for Firewood Log Splitting Chopping Block. Shop with confidence on eBay!

That's a telephone pole....first touch with my Fiskars ands it's matchwood.  :-)

I don't split on the ground as I was taught to chop on a block (By Scouts USA).

Plus it get me when you hit them on the ground some effort is lost/ absorbed by the ground.

On the right height block the mass of the block is an Anvil to the Axe's hammer.

• Like 1

Had some seasoned elm rounds as blocks lasted yrs eventually the ends got worn down in middle like  saucers so had to gradually cut them shorter.

Seasoned scots pine goes hard also and spongy texture makes a good chopping block

Plus it get me when you hit them on the ground some effort is lost/ absorbed by the ground.

On the right height block the mass of the block is an Anvil to the Axe's hammer.

Yeah agree

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1

I cut mostly larch and sycamore and the big rounds fit inside the tyre whole and once split can easily be lifted out in a oner and chucked in to the barrow. Smaller rounds i put 2 or 3 at a time inside the tyre, keeps all the split bits together and cuts down on "log shrapnel" and reduces bending over to pick bits up.

works well for me but everyone has there own way.

7 hours ago, sandspider said:

Big tyre on a big round of gnarly lleylandii, resting on a bit of ply. Stops the log sinking into the ground and absorbing impact. Tyre makes a big difference to efficiency, though if you catch the tyre with the axe some have wires in the sidewall. Guess how I know!

I've always thought that was a problem, all tyres have wire beads don't they?  And if you hit anything in the tyre it'll be the bead surely. Does it dink the axe's edge?

On 16/11/2020 at 18:21, AHPP said:

I use the Buckin Billy Ray Smith method. Rounds on the floor or in a pile, kick them vaguely upright and flop/flick the axe off to one side as you strike. If the axe flops left, a split piece will kick off right and the axe will end up safely flat on top of the left piece. Or golf swing through rounds lying down. Watch Buckin's youtube videos and it'll make sense. Suggest watching them with the sound off and/or sped up.

Cheers to everyone for their replies and input .... the only reason I've quoted this one is because your comments on the sound off / sped up are quite real to life / humourous ... maybe you should snd him a link ?

That said I did briefly try it and I don''t think it made a ot of difference, we're really close to the water table and with recent rain the ground's really soft (logs sink when you hit them) ... I'm tempted to try with a piece of hardboard below but without a secific "hook" on the axe it's just as quick to pick them up by hand each time.

I'm awful tempted to build a designated station with a couple of pallets screwed together for height .... if I felt they couldn't take the impacy without breaking put a hardoard sheet on top and try both a tyre and various bungee cords to try and hold them together.

Time to go experiment me thinks but a big thank you for everyone's input so far ... much appreciated   ? ?