Covid 19 inconsistencies

Acerforestry

3 hours ago, Jamespepperpot said:

My worry about these strategies is that if we continue to sanitise and distance everyone meaning we all stop getting colds flus etc etc what happens to our immune systems? As I kid I remember getting colds quite often and even in my 20s through winter getting ill every now and then.

I thought I heard that people who had got other coronaviruses recently, like colds, may have some levels of immunity to Covid-19. Surely if we carry on down this path all of our immune systems are going to become weaker and in the future more susceptible to new viruses..

Agreed 

constantly locking people away or restrictions on social interaction are proving to be totally ineffective. The resultant damage to all other aspects of life are now way way worse than the effects of the virus. Not hard to see up here in Scotland we are being prepped for a so called circuit breaker. Decisions made in a room by Sturgeon and a group of compliant  head nodding fear mongering sycophants each striving to out do the other in the quest to protect us. Decisions as is the case in Westminster too that are not subject to any form of democratic scrutiny/criticism or allowed to be questioned by an alternative view. Hopefully some scientific opinions are starting to question the benefits vs costs by this form of rule by decree. 
Sadly the masses seem to swallow all of this shit and often as was the case with many on here welcome more and more pointless restrictions. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Pretty much sums up the total futility of the whole lockdown/Circuit break concept. 

"the futility of it all" We cut deaths from 1000 a day to less than 10 a day and even now it's only 60 but rising. That is a lot of lives saved  and I dont see that as futile. We need to be careful through this winter but come the spring and summer we have shown we can have a fairly normal life by meeting up outside and not seeing huge numbers of cases. The smart money thinks we will have some sort of vaccine in numbers by this time next year so if we can keep numbers down over the winter we may well be on the way out of this mess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

"the futility of it all" We cut deaths from 1000 a day to less than 10 a day and even now it's only 60 but rising. That is a lot of lives saved  and I dont see that as futile. We need to be careful through this winter but come the spring and summer we have shown we can have a fairly normal life by meeting up outside and not seeing huge numbers of cases. The smart money thinks we will have some sort of vaccine in numbers by this time next year so if we can keep numbers down over the winter we may well be on the way out of this mess.

Hope so .

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

The corporate line virtually word for word I’m afraid ?‍♂️. There is huge amounts of data available to question statistics ref deaths and a reason why after a previous extremely mild winter and flu season why we had a huge amount of vulnerable individuals prone to infection within society in general.  Locking everything down is as Big J stated no different to putting a finger on a leaky pipe it’s not the answer and any fool would understand what happens when said  finger is removed. You are totally missing the point ref the harm the focus on Covid has done to other areas of health care,  the damage to the economic fabric of the country and ensuing mental health issues will prove to be catastrophic in the long run. Smart money !!!!  Who’s smart money are you referring too, join the line for the vaccine they will rush out in the name of saving you, I know a lot of people will be swerving that. 
You obviously don’t  mind rule by decree or lack of democratic function and endless pointless changing restrictions on travel or seeing elderly family etc etc. 
Sit tight be careful wait for the vaccine and follow the rules without question, or use some old fashioned common sense and get on with your life. 
I’ll be doing the latter as are most of the people I know. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I wonder if the 30-50,000 generally ignored annual UK excess winter cold deaths will be morphed seamlessly into the C19 figures for this year?  Might add a bit of weight to the argument....

I only know 2 families that have had a test - 1 was negative and 1 was positive. 

Both families isolated, both blokes self employed. The guy that was positive is back at work on day 10 and says he had ‘like a cold’ (they got young children/baby so it was a concern but all doing fine now.)

There needs to be a tailored approach according to circumstances - there’s no credibility in applying the same counter measures from a large urban  conurbation to a rural settings, those applicable to the vulnerable to the less vulnerable and if racial/ethnic groups are identified (specifically by race/ethnicity) as particularly ‘at risk’ then they should have specific measures applied. 

(no doubt some fruit loop will suggest ghetto / racial bias but where racial/ethnic centric behaviours can be identified as a primary transmission vector then it is what it is - Israel is struggling with the behaviour of the ultra orthodox community for example)

I voted Tory (this time, through lack of choice) but I also feel ‘government’ is rapidly losing the support of the masses. 

Compliance is going to degrade and there’s no appetite for further unilateral restrictive impositions. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I wonder if the 30-50,000 generally ignored annual UK excess winter cold deaths will be morphed seamlessly into the C19 figures for this year?  Might add a bit of weight to the argument....

I only know 2 families that have had a test - 1 was negative and 1 was positive. 

Both families isolated, both blokes self employed. The guy that was positive is back at work on day 10 and says he had ‘like a cold’ (they got young children/baby so it was a concern but all doing fine now.)

There needs to be a tailored approach according to circumstances - there’s no credibility in applying the same counter measures from a large urban  conurbation to a rural settings, those applicable to the vulnerable to the less vulnerable and if racial/ethnic groups are identified (specifically by race/ethnicity) as particularly ‘at risk’ then they should have specific measures applied. 

(no doubt some fruit loop will suggest ghetto / racial bias but where racial/ethnic centric behaviours can be identified as a primary transmission vector then it is what it is - Israel is struggling with the behaviour of the ultra orthodox community for example)

I voted Tory (this time, through lack of choice) but I also feel ‘government’ is rapidly losing the support of the masses. 

Compliance is going to degrade and there’s no appetite for further unilateral restrictive impositions. 

Time will tell. 

Show us a country that has let it rip and successfully protected the vulnerable. It's a lovely idea but very hard to do in reality. Far too much crossover or you leave the elderly completely isolated which is impossible. My father is 87 and according to the stats a 15% chance of dying from it. His only contacts during the week are his cleaners and me. The cleaners are young so if they get it they could easily pass it on. Basic masks are not great protection for aerosols which more and more like the main transmission rout. As for numbers I know of four people who have tested positive. All working age and two are fine, one has been is off sick since April and the other is dead. Mrs woodworks works in healthcare and they are maxed out on a good day with no C19. You dont see any of them saying lets let it rip as that is just RIP for many

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Show us a country that has let it rip and successfully protected the vulnerable. It's a lovely idea but very hard to do in reality. Far too much crossover or you leave the elderly completely isolated which is impossible. My father is 87 and according to the stats a 15% chance of dying from it. His only contacts during the week are his cleaners and me. The cleaners are young so if they get it they could easily pass it on. Basic masks are not great protection for aerosols which more and more like the main transmission rout. As for numbers I know of four people who have tested positive. All working age and two are fine, one has been is off sick since April and the other is dead. Mrs woodworks works in healthcare and they are maxed out on a good day with no C19. You dont see any of them saying lets let it rip as that is just RIP for many

Let it Rip is a foolish description for what basically was achieved in Sweden. 
The actions  you support and advocate are neither sustainable nor in reality being adhered too. The reality not some mad figure designed to terrify people  plucked out of Ferguson’s head of this for hundreds of thousands of people is loss of jobs, homes and in many many cases lives to other issues other that bloody Covid. We as a nation have lost all sense of rational in relation to this virus. 
No offence meant but at 87 any infection of illness including common flu will probably incur statistical risks along those lines. 15% ?‍♂️ think about it an 85% chance to be fine !!!. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

In my opinion its entirely plausible that the drop in death rates over the summer was as much attributable to the warmer temperatures than it was the lockdown.

Just now, Steve Bullman said:

In my opinion its entirely plausible that the drop in death rates over the summer was as much attributable to the warmer temperatures than it was the lockdown.

It is also plausible to consider that the Summer reduction resulted from the actual previous death of those most vulnerable...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It is also plausible to consider that the Summer reduction resulted from the actual previous death of those most vulnerable...  

Yeah I considered that, but really the amount that died although tragic, is not really a huge number on the scale of things...maybe a small dent in the amount of venerable people in the population