What heating system and why

Lazurus

I was quoted £1.47ppl yesterday, albeit for a baby tanker due to access issues, and this bumps the price up. Hopefully oil prices seem to be easing now, so we'll just turn the heating down and wait a week or two. 🤞🤞

Amen to that! I bought 500l in about November at 56ppl, which at the time I thought was a bit steep. Glad I didn’t wait until the tank was empty enough to take 1000l.

I am hoping the weather warms up and the remaining 400l or so in my tank will last through until mid-summer.

We just got our first electricity bill for the month of February for our house in Sweden. We've left the ground source heat pump system set to 18c, and it has used an average of 29.5 kwh/day to heat 240 square metres. That is (by my reckoning) incredibly efficient. 

When we were there last month, the house felt very warm and comfortable even at that temperature. No temperature gradients, draughts or cold spots.

We're still planning to put in air source heating for two rooms, as much to give us cooling in summer as heat in winter. Installation costs are a fraction there of what they are here.

And failing that, there is a stove and a fireplace and firewood is 1/3 price there compared to here. Too cheap to be worth considering producing it yourself.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Big J said:

We just got our first electricity bill for the month of February for our house in Sweden. We've left the ground source heat pump system set to 18c, and it has used an average of 29.5 kwh/day to heat 240 square metres. That is (by my reckoning) incredibly efficient. 

When we were there last month, the house felt very warm and comfortable even at that temperature. No temperature gradients, draughts or cold spots.

We're still planning to put in air source heating for two rooms, as much to give us cooling in summer as heat in winter. Installation costs are a fraction there of what they are here.

And failing that, there is a stove and a fireplace and firewood is 1/3 price there compared to here. Too cheap to be worth considering producing it yourself.

Out of interest do you know what temp the ground loop is running at? 

22 minutes ago, Big J said:

I don't, but I can look at it when we are there next month.

Thanks

It would be interesting to see how different or not as the case maybe from how mine runs. 

Ground loop temps or is it bore holes? 

UFH temp (the actual water in the pipes) 

This gives you the temperature lift which indicates how efficiently a GSHP will be running at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big J said:

29kWh/ day is excellent. Our our air source heat pump does double that at current temperatures. This year, we’ve run our system bivalent. ASHP when it’s mild, and HVO (biofuel) boiler when temperatures drop and ASHP is less efficient. It’s worked well: https://myhomefarm.co.uk/going-bivalent-ashp-hvo

• Like 1