What heating system and why

Lazurus

59 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

How far is March from you, hour or so?, 1 bottle is £47.50 now, buy ten and they are £40/each which is a massive saving, they are just short of £80/47kg bottle around here.

:scared1: That sound expensive you must live in a psoh post code!!!!!!

Calor aren't out of stock at this time of the year, they just don't want to advertise their prices. If you can get refillable bottles or find someone who knows what they are doing when filling standard bottles it's 71.1p a litre around here now.

SHOP.CALOR.CO.UK

Buy Calor's 47kg Propane Gas Bottle. It's perfect for home energy supply instead of an LPG tank, as well as for...

1 hour ago, Stihl123 said:

External oil boiler 

Air source is only really any good in modern properties with loads of insulation and triple glazing etc

Also, the cost will be more than oil 

Maintenance is more

Parts aren't quite so readily available and spares are more than oil

pretty much no to all of that.

As long as you sit the underfloor on insulation and make sure the loft has plenty then you are laughing. Obviously modern windows are going to help but its on 24x7 so once the slab is warmed up it stays warm with not much effort.  Do the math with the grant and it is cost neutral after 7+ years after which it pays you.

2 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

External oil boiler 

Air source is only really any good in modern properties with loads of insulation and triple glazing etc

I disagree, heat input is the same for a combustion system as for a heat pump, a well insulated house will need less heat from either.

Maintenance is more

Yes oil boilers are dirt cheap in comparison but the price per kWh will favour the heat pump. As I said you have to consider capital cost, running cost and maintenance. I haven't owned a heat pump long enough to know how long it will last and mine is a simple portable which is giving sterling service in the present hot weather.

One thing I didn't mention is that as the water in a wet heat pump system is generally below 60C some thought has to be taken about precautions for legionella bacteria.

38 minutes ago, donnk said:

once the slab is warmed up it stays warm with not much effort.

I think the OP said he has suspended floors on the ground floor, which doesn't preclude underfloor heating but means the thermal store of a few inches of screed is not available.

External oil boiler 

Maintenance is more

Oil price isn't too bad at the minute, and a few locals say it'd be a no brainer.

But in mind mind the price will only ever go up