Coronavirus - impacting you yet?

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s a bit of an aside, but the £billions being spent on refurb the Palace of Westminster really can be exposed as a very poor decision by the cronies that want to slink around the salubrious setting. 

It was already unsuitable for modern governance, at risk of flooding, over crowded and completely inadequate in a great many ways. 

Now we see the consequences of such antiquated work spaces having a direct and significant impact on the business of government - in no small part, directly attributable to the real estate. 

I was Very fortunate to have been invited to dinner with Dr Mynors the night before his Barchams briefing (2012?) and I well recall the look of absolute derision he gave me when I suggested the money might be better saved by relocating parliament to an ex-army warehouse at Bicester or Stafford, complete with on site accommodation, modern work, communication, security and leisure facilities whilst partial refurb of Westminster so that it could be handed over to NT or EH as a public monument / museum / visitor centre. 

I wonder if the MPs that voted the refurb budget through will be thinking differently in weeks to come?

Every penny counts (especially when some other bar steward had to earn it!)

Yes would be nice to see it go to NT or some such organisation. Not point working in a building that is not up to all the modern day tech, wiring and rest, could lose a lot of the historic features if refurbed badly. 

I think we have lost enough historic features in our country as it is, with WWII and all the bombings, etc. loads of history got lost. Look at Paris in comparison. So much more history still there in the architecture. Not supporting the french, but it is a shame to have lost so much history. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJStrees said:

Yes would be nice to see it go to NT or some such organisation. Not point working in a building that is not up to all the modern day tech, wiring and rest, could lose a lot of the historic features if refurbed badly. 

I think we have lost enough historic features in our country as it is, with WWII and all the bombings, etc. loads of history got lost. Look at Paris in comparison. So much more history still there in the architecture. Not supporting the french, but it is a shame to have lost so much history. 

Lost more due to shit town planners if truth be known, they loved a bit of bulldozering after the war. New everything was the idea. K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Lost more due to shit town planners if truth be known, they loved a bit of bulldozering after the war. New everything was the idea. K

Yes and then in the 60's white gloss paint came along and everything that looked old was painted with white gloss paint. 

The mind boggles. Stripping back 1800s or older fire places with years of white gloss paint on them. Who comes up with these ideas......

Maybe we do need to end the world and start again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Yes and then in the 60's white gloss paint came along and everything that looked old was painted with white gloss paint. 

The mind boggles. Stripping back 1800s or older fire places with years of white gloss paint on them. Who comes up with these ideas......

Maybe we do need to end the world and start again. 

Bloody hell mate, a bit harsh maybe ?

Ive had a fair share of stripping artex from the walls and MDF from the stone fire places at home but never quite felt like Armageddon was necessary. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Ive had a fair share of stripping artex from the walls and MDF from the stone fire places at home but never quite felt like Armageddon was necessary. 

Well, yes I mean I know what you are saying but considering all this going on......

6 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

But surely you must see it.... I mean painting solid brass panels on old fire places with gloss paint, I mean Armageddon might be the only way to get it all removed. 

I suppose nothing beats filling cavities in trees with concrete though to be fair.  

• Haha 1

In Iceland where they are able to test a much higher percentage of the population, they have found that around 50% of those testing positive have absolutely no symptoms..
That’s a jarring statistic and little wonder it’s spreading like wildfire.

Day 14 of quarantine today.. I just can’t shake a dry cough/chest infection I’ve had for a couple of weeks now. At first I didn’t think it was CV but I’m not so sure now.

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

Day 14 of quarantine today.. I just can’t shake a dry cough/chest infection I’ve had for a couple of weeks now. At first I didn’t think it was CV but I’m not so sure now.

Its day 9 for me and Im starting to develop a dry cough and a tight feeling in my chest. :( Im guessing within a week we're not gonna have any tests available?