Covid-19

Ratman

57 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Was this more aligned with the Private sector

It was at the time that pension age was increased, maybe aligned with private sector, not really sure but the point is that the conditions of employment, benefits etc were changed for those already employed and changed significantly for those who were within sight of retirement who all of a sudden were no longer in that position and had another 5-8 years added onto their working life in that career (not to mention changes to how pensions were calculated)

You mean he's one of the few Conservative exceptions? 

Definitely in the minority but more about his views and opinions which are very much of a traditional type as opposed to modern and progressive, embracing many of the things of the world that we currently live in.

Its purely political and nothing more

Why are teacher's working conditions and challenging unjustified changes to them classed as political just because the politicians make the decisions? It's not necessarily about fighting the politicians because of what colour their ties are, bt about fighting what they're being asked to do.

The thing of it is though the Unions are making out that its for the safely of the Teachers(against Scientific evidence)

So when other work places have to socially distance to help prevent widespread infection schools and teachers are magically immuned to this issue?

Again in the Private sector working many hours after your 7.5 hour day ends is not unusual. Even here in Norway when I was office based over-time was included in the salary, some did zero hours OT, some work to 11 each night, it just depends on the project.

It may not be unusual to do so but presumably the contracts in place and remuneration in those jobs make it an acceptable thing to ask and do. When you say that overtime is included in the salary, does that mean you just have to do it whatever or you're paid for overtime you may or may not have to do? You have made quite a big deal about how much you are paid for the job that you do (for the not many days a year you do it), presumably the levels of pay being received make this kind of expectation acceptable to employees, unions etc. 

And right now the project for these heel draggers should be the welfare of the children and not political point scoring or using this crisis as leverage to improve their conditions. Now is really not the time for that. 

Considering how well your daughters have done in the current education system their heel dragging teachers can't have done that bad of a job up until now. Unfortunately that last statement  shows the kind of attitude from parents that is one of the contributing factors that leads to increased levels of stress for teachers, which leads to increased absence, kids being taught by cover supervisors/supply teachers and ultimately the loss of experienced teachers from the profession. Maybe rather than taking those negative articles as the basis of your opinions of teachers you could try and see  that the vast majority are doing the best that they can in the circumstances that they find themselves in. It's not perfect but for many, if not most pupils it's ok... all things considered.

Colin sent out the tongue-in-cheek letter urging parents to sign up for a teacher training course

Edited by Youngstu

17 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

It was at the time that pension age was increased, maybe aligned with private sector, not really sure but the point is that the conditions of employment, benefits etc were changed for those already employed and changed significantly for those who were within sight of retirement who all of a sudden were no longer in that position and had another 5-8 years added onto their working life in that career (not to mention changes to how pensions were calculated)

Same as the private sector I believe? And it seems to have affected women more (like my mother-in-law) than it did men. Some might argue that it better aligned the sexes and gave women the very thing they have been fighting long and hard for. Equality. Unfortunately demands come with nasty surprises sometimes. 

19 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

Definitely in the minority but more about his views and opinions which are very much of a traditional type as opposed to modern and progressive, embracing many of the things of the world that we currently live in.

Unfortunately in the minority.  Surely to have such an institution heavily dominated so heavily by either Right Wing or Left Wing doctrine is a bad thing? Balance is whats needed here and its sorely lacking.  

21 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

Why are teacher's working conditions and challenging unjustified changes to them classed as political just because the politicians make the decisions? It's not necessarily about fighting the politicians because of what colour their ties are, bt about fighting what they're being asked to do.

What the unions are doing now is purely political and its mana from heaven for them right now. 

22 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

So when other work places have to socially distance to help prevent widespread infection schools and teachers are magically immuned to this issue?

We're told to follow the science. Im repeatedly told to on here by the dogmatic. Perhaps the Teachers and the Unions should do as well? 

23 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

It may not be unusual to do so but presumably the contracts in place and remuneration in those jobs make it an acceptable thing to ask and do. When you say that overtime is included in the salary, does that mean you just have to do it whatever or you're paid for overtime you may or may not have to do? You have made quite a big deal about how much you are paid for the job that you do (for the not many days a year you do it), presumably the levels of pay being received make this kind of expectation acceptable to employees, unions etc. 

Overtime being calculated into the Salaries just means that they dont get paid any. People are leaving the Oil Industry in their droves as its no longer the high paying, high flying industry it used to be. 

Ive never made a big deal about what I earn. I think I have posted up figures one time and I thing I deleted it the next day. I'll admit that I do gloat about how few days I work each year though. :D Im not on-shore based, tried that and hated it. As such Overtime is very much not included in my Salary. 

Again, I am all for Teachers and their unions fighting to maintain and better their standards. But using this Pandemic is simply not the time. We've all been asked to make sacrifices and perhaps this is the time the teachers need to shine? It certainly would endear the public to their cause if they did instead of seeing it as a golden opportunity to use the children's education as leverage to force through demands. 

30 minutes ago, Youngstu said:

Considering how well your daughters have done in the current education system their heel dragging teachers can't have done that bad of a job up until now.

They do have a good school, it was not chosen at random. Just 5 miles down the road and its another story. But they are extremely studious, often revising till past midnight. When seen fit we have paid for tutors. They where both in a Private School when we lived in Norway. And as my Wife is currently in her last 6 months of her Degree in Maths and Quantum Physics she's been able to dedicate a lot of time and up-to-date knowledge to work through their homework and revision with them and understand what and where they've gone wrong and how to resolve the stumbling blocks. Where as I look at it and see Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Although I did see a cartoon joke the other day about Red and Blue Shift and got it. I was rather impressed with myself. :D 

But in reality the teachers have done little for them. Nothing out of the ordinary and when I asked my 17 year old the other week how its going she said its terrible. No interaction with any teachers. Coursework posted up and told to crack on yourself. The teachers seem to be no where to be found during the day or the time of their classes so no help from them to ask anything. Maybe its all rosy and golden down by you but it not what we're seeing first hand up here. 

• Like 1