Electric company cars

Steve Bullman

23 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Yes, you still get the best rates on the road using the apps.  But once it is setup you just use your phone and it doesn’t take long.  I also have an Audi charge card which is a monthly invoice.  

Interesting.  I think it should be like buying petrol or diesel.  Help yourself and pay by card.  Not everyone is capable of getting apps to work.  My old mum can happily go to Tesco and buy petrol for her old car.  She would never cope with an electric one if she had to use an app.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Interesting.  I think it should be like buying petrol or diesel.  Help yourself and pay by card.  Not everyone is capable of getting apps to work.  My old mum can happily go to Tesco and buy petrol for her old car.  She would never cope with an electric one if she had to use an app.

agree with that also a standard charge sockets to fit any car and advertise the price like they do for petrol and derv. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daveatdave said:

agree with that also a standard charge sockets to fit any car and advertise the price like they do for petrol and derv. 

Totally agree, there is a shortage of charging capacity and queues as it is without all this anti-competitive nonsense.  How was tesla ever allowed their own proprietary charger? So shortsighted. Mobile phones have been around for 40 years, have we not learned anything about the benefits of a standard charger.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine works for a company with perceived 'green' credentials, so last year they replaced their fleet of company vehicles with all electric.....including my friends company vehicle.

Now, he is an area manager which covers a large chunk of England. He can easily travel several hundred miles a day every day. By the time his electric car gets home he normally has around 10% of charge left. He then puts it on his home charger and is fully charged by around 6am the following day ready for him to leave for work just after 7am. All well and good...until he realised very quickly that if he wanted to go out in the evening after work, then the car wouldnt be charged enough by the time he wanted to leave for work when he got back later in the evening. 

So now, he has had to buy another (cheap petrol) car, so he and his family actually have transport to go out in.

Bonkers situation...but thats the reality. 

10 hours ago, pleasant said:

A good friend of mine works for a company with perceived 'green' credentials, so last year they replaced their fleet of company vehicles with all electric.....including my friends company vehicle.

Now, he is an area manager which covers a large chunk of England. He can easily travel several hundred miles a day every day. By the time his electric car gets home he normally has around 10% of charge left. He then puts it on his home charger and is fully charged by around 6am the following day ready for him to leave for work just after 7am. All well and good...until he realised very quickly that if he wanted to go out in the evening after work, then the car wouldnt be charged enough by the time he wanted to leave for work when he got back later in the evening. 

So now, he has had to buy another (cheap petrol) car, so he and his family actually have transport to go out in.

Bonkers situation...but thats the reality. 

Sounds like they should have chosen cars with a longer range.  Some now have in excess of 300 mile range on a single charge.

They are pretty popular here Joe.  Probably due to the many reasons I mentioned in my post earlier.

I see 10-20 VW ID Buzz’s everyday.  Signwritten as plumbers, sparks, chippies and landscrapers.

Also a lot of the caddy sized vans.  

There are lots of tax perks as well for having lease vehicles and registered as ‘Varebil’ or work truck.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Sounds like they should have chosen cars with a longer range.  Some now have in excess of 300 mile range on a single charge.

He can do nearly 300 miles in a day...by the time he gets back he has around 50 miles left in the charge, so hence he needs another full charge for the following day and its the same every day. If he doesn't get it on charge pretty much straight away he gets home, he won't have another full charge for the morning you see.

14 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Anyone used any of the electric small vans? Not really for environmental reasons, i just detest changing gear. 

I bought a two year old Renault kangoo EV in may.  So far it is great.  If you have access to cheap electricity it is a no-brainer.  The newer models regardless of brand are mainly made by Stellantis, so will all be similar.  My van is really basic inside and the controls are just like a diesel van, but no gears of course.  The newer ones are loaded with all sorts of complicated tech and a touch screen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I bought a two year old Renault kangoo EV in may.  So far it is great.  If you have access to cheap electricity it is a no-brainer.  The newer models regardless of brand are mainly made by Stellantis, so will all be similar.  My van is really basic inside and the controls are just like a diesel van, but no gears of course.  The newer ones are loaded with all sorts of complicated tech and a touch screen.

What did you pay?

What range do you find typical?

How does performance compare to the diesel variants?