worth buying for starting out?

josh

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought it looked pretty poo, but just wasn't sure and thought i'd ask. i've not done any climbing before but i've booked my cs38 for march. so don't know what kind of kit i need really. i got a tree climbers companion which has give me a rough idea of what i need. what would you guys say the first basic essenitals are?:confused1:

Go and do the course first, you wont need any kit to do it and it will show you what you need to get by on, it will be the bog basic kit but it will do the job well then when you have passed it you can go to an arb shop and try harnesses on and find what you like. You could blow mega money buying what you thinkg you will need when infact you dont.

thought it looked pretty poo, but just wasn't sure and thought i'd ask. i've not done any climbing before but i've booked my cs38 for march. so don't know what kind of kit i need really. i got a tree climbers companion which has give me a rough idea of what i need. what would you guys say the first basic essenitals are?:confused1:

If your a beginner, I'd say

-Harness , I went for a sequoia as my first harness as its relatively cheap, very comfy, light-weight and flexible. (But theres obviously loads more about like this harness, or if its doesnt suit your build, ignore me!:thumbup:)

-Rope , I got 45 of yale blaze 11.1mm as my first line, probs not the best choice. I look back now and keep telling myself I should of gone for a thicker (12-13mm) line, something like Yale xtc Fire, one of the best ropes on the market imo. nice and cheap, durable, holds knots brilliantly and is a visible colour. If you get a lanyard I'd recommend a thinner line as you can carry more of it without it becoming a pain, its easier to chuck around big stems and is generally makes your climbing more streamlined , faster and productive imo.

-Carabiners , I had been climbing about 6 months before I got my kit so I went for the more fancy oval crabs, snap hooks and mini biners to fit more comfortably in slack tenders, spliced eyes and the like, But again, if beginning just get a handful of basic hms crabs. the dmm lynx/ISC ones seems to be a common fave.

-Prussik cord , I normally stick to 8-9mm cord for 11mm climbing lines, and 9-10mm cord for the thicker lines. Id recommend liros, its what I use now after going through every other cord on the market.Cheap, supple and Gives excellent bite. Plus, it comes in 8mm+10mm so it is very compatible with the majority of life-lines out there. Do take note though, if your just starting out then I would imagine your instructor will put you on a prussik, or blakes hitch. So just buy a few meters of half decent cord and a split tail or two. Then you can move onto the fancy shizzle.

-Other bits , grab a basic cambium saver. Its a must really. I didnt climb on one for quite a long time as my boss insisted they were a waste of time, But then I opened my eyes to future ligament/muscle problems that will only inevitably occur if I dont at least try to make things a bit easier for myself. In the long run its definately worth it, makes climbing so much easier and also doesnt bugger your rope, and the tree up! Buy a basic throwline kit and container, I used a Celebrations tin for about a year until I finally bought a folding cube to store it in. Maybe grab a few maillons and tool clips. Always come in handy.

Hope this helps, Good luck with your climbing!:thumbup1:

Go and do the course first, you wont need any kit to do it and it will show you what you need to get by on, it will be the bog basic kit but it will do the job well then when you have passed it you can go to an arb shop and try harnesses on and find what you like. You could blow mega money buying what you thinkg you will need when infact you dont.

Sound advice there mate :thumbup1:

Nowt wrong with weaver harnesses- i have one, but not the one on ebay, which i personally think looks awful. As Brian says, they are like wearing the sort of harness a carthorse would be atached to the cart with, but if klike me you have serious lower spinal problems (missing discs and vertebra out of line) then it is a great harness. If you are a fit bloke then go for something lighter like a petzl. You think what you would spend getting that weaver- its more money than alot of UK harnesses anyway.

Above all though, i have to agree with what others say- get your tickets first and try out a few harnesses. Your instructor will probably be equipped with several.

whats wrong with just climbing on basic kit i.e. rope 4 crabs and a couple of prussiks or split tails really dont see the point in having all that extra kit dragging it up the tree with you such as cambium savers malions and such forth i have been climbing for 18 years without all the extras and i dont suffer with muscle probs.

but do agree dont buy any thing until you complete course as you will find whats best for you and as for weaver i have always had one since getting shot of the old willians lap belt without any leg loops at all

really dont see the point in having all that extra kit dragging it up the tree with you such as cambium savers malions and such forth i have been climbing for 18 years without all the extras and i dont suffer with muscle probs.

have you tried any new gadgets? they aren't just made to make 'muscle probs' go away. fair enough if you can manage with a prussik and rope but your life would be alot easier with a few adjustments.

Dont buy anything until you've done your courses- you should get the chance to look at and try different kit. You'll also be able to quiz your instructor on the pros and cons of all the different kit and then make your own educated decision about the gear you want.

If buying from abroad watch out for import duty and handling charges by the courier to pay the customs duties on your behalf- I bought a new sail from the US and it ended up being more expensive once the duty and handling fees had been paid than buying in the Uk!!!!

Climbing Harnesses - Treeworker.co.uk

if i were looking at a new harness in youre situation, on the tree worker website id be looking at the Sequoia, Treemagineers, Treeflex (got one spare, very comfy), EKN, Eldrid (my everyday one-very good AKA tree magic)

hope this helps

its very helpful!!!!

i wouldnt mind a treeflex if you've got one, i work with one at the mo but im not allowed to use kit at the weekends, so i need some kit!