long or short gaffs ???

combined tree services

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have climbed on shorties for the last ten years, quite happy until I did a wellingtonia this year, then I needed long ones for the first time. They are also great for ivy covered trees.

Still got the long gaffs, but I have put the shorties back on for everyday use. Might get another set of spikes so I can have a pair of each ready set up because swapping them is a pain.

I have some long gaffs(euro gaffs??) dont particually like thembut thought they would be handy, i find you cant get them out once in! but they stay in the truck for thick barked trees,and have changed the bolts so its a 2 min job to swap gaffs...saying that i just really dont like the balance of long gaffs they just dont feel right! took down a welly the other day and kept the small gaffs on and they where fine!

Long gaffs are good on thin bendy poles, as your foot is not in contact with the pole it gives you more room to maneuver your feet with limited space.

Incidentally, at what point does everybody stop climbing up, mine is when i can feel the pole flexing between the spikes and my strop !

Long gaffs are good on thin bendy poles, as your foot is not in contact with the pole it gives you more room to maneuver your feet with limited space.

Incidentally, at what point does everybody stop climbing up, mine is when i can feel the pole flexing between the spikes and my strop !

I recon about 6"

I really find the exact opposite i would rather have my feet as close as possible to the spar plus you still have to get the things out of the wood as they sink in 3 " when you stop to make a cut.

I really find the exact opposite i would rather have my feet as close as possible to the spar .

I'm the same.

Only ever tried long gaffs once, felt like trying to climb in stiletto's :001_huh:

Also if you are used to climbing in short gaffs and use long ones for any climbing other than spiking up a stem, there is a real risk of gaffing your foot.

I recon about 6"

I really find the exact opposite i would rather have my feet as close as possible to the spar plus you still have to get the things out of the wood as they sink in 3 " when you stop to make a cut.

Yeah same hear . I love my tree gaffs ,long uns for take downs on Oak and Ivy covered stuff . Had the problem of removing a poplar and really did struggle getting the gaffs out . I must agree 6" for a pole and defo use short gaffs . I thought it was normal for all tree surgeons / arborists to own two sets of spikes ?:biggrin:

Just be carefull, if your used to short gaffs, and you may be moving around on the ground between trees. Don't spike yourself in the foot.

I have done this, on the railways in Wales where everything is a bit frantic, Straight in the heel of my left foot. It don't harf urt, and hurt for 2 or 3 years afterwards as well on cold days etc