Big (but not MASSIVE) chippers

benedmonds

I look at Schiesling and think "why are they so expensive as they cost about the same as everyone else to build and they chip stuff the same as everything else. Build quality is okay at best

I’m not blown away by how well Schlieisings chip but that’s not everything. As a thing to own and maintain and send out with blokes who don’t respect your property like you do, I think they’re better than most. Two identical teams would have a down day from breaking a Foerst or Greenmech before they broke a Schliesing.
Any reader of this thread also can’t ignore that you don’t sell them and you do sell their competition.

True, I do work for GreenMech and have done so since before the turn of the century! Previous to that, I ran an outfit with a dozen people and three chippers, two of those from GreenMech. In fact, it was based in the same village that Ben lives in now.

I could say that I've seen pretty well everything that's been marketed since the early 1980's, know their strengths and weaknesses (I will include my own product in that too), and the same for the suppliers too. While I would always promote my brand first, if we don't make it or it doesn't suit you, I'm able to give you an opinion on what's left.....

• Like 3

I work in Germany a fair bit and have noticed there loyalty to there own country's machines eg vehicles cranes chainsaws and other arb stuff but when it comes to chippers not so much you dont see any wear near as many Jensen or schliesing as you would expect I asked the guy I worked for and he said schliesing are hard to do maintenance on and he just wasn't a fan of Jensen he has vermeer chippers and most of the other big firms around him hand same or bandit I have used all chippers pretty much both here and in the states and if u want a big get a American one they just do it right and it will last

• Like 1

Is this Forst bashing just from GreenMech staff/dealers and Mick? 
The guys liked the one we tried and there are some on here who seem to be very positive, I seem to recall Mick Dempsey was when he first got one?

Ben, there like a Range Rover, fantastic when they work and you don’t want one out of warranty!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Schiesling should, within reason, cost the same as any other similar sized machine as the cost of the engines are similar, the cost of steel is similar, the components are used by a multitude of other makes blah blah blah. The biggest difference used to be that they are built twice. The first fabrications/assembly are hand built with minor differences in each model. IE, a bonnet is suited to one unit and one unit only. Following that, they used to be then disassembled, pushed across the road to be powder coated, then back to assembly again. They are supposed to have a higher hydraulic power than most machines but, having said that, the rotor does the spinning and blades do the chopping! I've seen a couple of major engineering faux Pas on one size and a major electronic component that we also used and had an awful time with failures that we got into bed with another supplier. For reasons like that, I fail to see the true drawer or equate the cost. But, each to their own and I would support personal view and choice!

• Like 1

Money spent on QC possibly? Or perhaps some overengineering that you don’t give enough credit to?
I’d not heard the hydraulic superiority claim but it’s certainly relevant. Infeed strength, crushing unions etc is hugely important.

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Money spent on QC possibly? Or perhaps some overengineering that you don’t give enough credit to?
I’d not heard the hydraulic superiority claim but it’s certainly relevant. Infeed strength, crushing unions etc is hugely important.

Agreed. Infeed strength is good. But the 'chip' is down to blades, rotor speed, 'blow',  and 'no stress' device. Support is down to the spare parts people, 'service' help is a must as well. And, I got to say this, the Rep who sold it to you answering the phone, is a must too!

In terms of quality control, to have a dozen (or any number) built differently, is out of control! 

In terms of the OP's question? Anyone got a TW350? Bandit 990, Jensen 340 or bigger? Road towable? How about TP235?

4 hours ago, AHPP said:

I’m not blown away by how well Schlieisings chip but that’s not everything. As a thing to own and maintain and send out with blokes who don’t respect your property like you do, I think they’re better than most. Two identical teams would have a down day from breaking a Foerst or Greenmech before they broke a Schliesing.
Any reader of this thread also can’t ignore that you don’t sell them and you do sell their competition.

I'm probably the last person who should get involved as my experiences on anything mechanical or engineering is limited to building lego sets with clearly laid out instructions.

However....

One thing with the Schleising(220mx im referring to although I assume its similar across the range) is that it has an absolutely massive flywheel and theres literally nothing stopping that. You can chip with it constantly for a week without noticing loss in performance, unlike other brands of chipper with smaller flywheels, you'll notice the blades are blunt a lot sooner. I'd liken it to running an ms261 and a 461 on a 15" bar....the 261 will cut fine, but the moment its a bit dull you'll know it, whereas the 461 would keep powering on.

Going back to my lego set now

D4C1F70F-6A4F-45D0-BC42-A96502BB910B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I'm probably the last person who should get involved as my experiences on anything mechanical or engineering is limited to building lego sets with clearly laid out instructions.

However....

Going back to my lego set now

D4C1F70F-6A4F-45D0-BC42-A96502BB910B.jpeg

At the NEC this week was SALTEX along with Brick Live. Not bricks for building houses but pits full of Lego! Steve? You have been ace! I'm sure! ....