Big (but not MASSIVE) chippers

benedmonds

34 minutes ago, ForestryFinance said:

I would throw Forst in as an alternative. They are incredibly capable - ST8 if you're wanting tow-behind. 

If you're buying new, they're amazing in terms of warranty and support. They also hold residual value unlike any other. 

We had a forst ST8 on demo and it was capable machine and purchase costs much lower than the bigger machines.  But I want 10inch really..

I do have concerns about their long term reliability...

Edited by benedmonds

14 minutes ago, ForestryFinance said:

Fair enough, I do only really deal with Forst dealers so that will skew my perception of it, however what you mention about trading in a Forst with a Forst dealer, the same could be said about almost every other brand. You will get stronger money on a TW from a TW dealer, Jensen from a Jensen dealer....

Especially TP actually...not sure I know anyone who would take back one of them. 

Forst no doubt are giving "top money" on their used machinery in part ex, however with a couple of hundred used machines sat in stock, unsold you could say they have been giving unrealistic values in a bid for new machinery sales? How long can you give top px values when you already have a couple of hundred in your yard?

I don't know any "plant" manufacture with a used stock inventory like that.  

• Like 2

Schliesling has to be top of the compact, big chippers. Are you looking at new or used Ben? 

WWW.MASCUS.CO.UK

Schliesing 550 MXF Häcksler Hacker Schredder - Latest inspection: 2019-12, Engine output: 58.8 kW (80 hp)...

My preference would be nearly new.. That seems like a lot of cash for a 12 year old machine with over 2000 hours.. 

There have been a few old (early 2000's) big chippers on ebay recently with folk asking silly money for them.. a tw250 at £18k another at £9.5. And a 2008 schiesing at £22.5k. with 1400hrs. Madness..

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Condition is Used. Wood chipper Schliesing 550MX with Hatz diesel engine of 72hp on galvanized tandem-axle chassis (80 km/h). Towing hitch adjustable in height with inertia brake...

Edited by benedmonds

3 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

My preference would be nearly new.. That seems like a lot of cash for a 12 year old machine with over 2000 hours.. 

Have you seen a schliesing up close Ben? They are pretty damm bomb proof which is why they hold their money I suspect.

In fact a company not far from me I heard rolled on once on the highway and incurred next to no damage.

13 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Have you seen a schliesing up close Ben? They are pretty damm bomb proof which is why they hold their money I suspect.

Used a smaller one many many moons ago.. Still at 2400 hrs stuff will be worn out. That can be expensive to repair if you can even get the parts.

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

Used a smaller one many many moons ago.. Still at 2400 hrs stuff will be worn out. That can be expensive to repair if you can even get the parts.

That's true for anything though. If you have a Foerst, bearings etc wear out AND the hopper falls apart. If you have a Schliesing, bearings wear out and that's all. Schliesings are built for long term ownership.

Bearings etc are consumable.

Edited by AHPP

Anyone want to buy a handful of Forst XR8 units? I got a few people who want to trade then in but I cannot get them underwritten by anyone! Forst said that they were worth £20k each (+/-) for two year old machines but no one would even make a silly bid! My response to Forst was that "they are only worth what someone is willing to pay and at the moment, that is zero!" Very disappointing if you are the owner who wants to change to a different make.....

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ForestryFinance said:

I would throw Forst in as an alternative. They are incredibly capable - ST8 if you're wanting tow-behind. 

If you're buying new, they're amazing in terms of warranty and support. They also hold residual value unlike any other. 

I admire you chutzpah, but you have to réalisé that a lot of guys on here have used a lot of different machines for many years, Forst included, in fact there’s an ST8 in my garage.

So just saying stuff like a car salesman to a wide eyed young couple in your showroom isn’t going to wash.

Saying they hold residual value like no other is true, in a way, just in exactly the opposite of the way you meant.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1