Who here runs ported saws ?

Yngwie

Well it had to be done.

Porting is like marmite imo!

Having just watched Apollo 13, I think the guys bringing the three astronauts back to earth would be the sort of fellas to look at a saw and think....I wonder if......

Porting is a personal choice and I have never forced anyone to have their saw ported, it is just something I can do if the owner wants it done.

As I have said before, I have put people off porting if the saw is given to employees to do their job.

On 27/10/2019 at 18:55, outinthewood said:

I always find the comments on "ported" saws interesting...those who love them i.e. have them and work them and those who know just enough to know not a whole lot about them and don't work them. 

It was touched on earlier how it all came about, get a lighter smaller saw to cut like a bigger heavier one so in the beginning it was about power not really "speed" now the lines have been, in my very humble view, blurred where folk think a ported saw is the fastest saw cutting a "cookie" and the aim of a small easy to use all day on the side of a hill has almost been forgotten by all but those of us who really cut all day all week for a living. I run 6 fully ported saws and another 6 just MM'd and the fully ported all built by guys who cut for a living themselves. As for how long they last, my first 372 XPW lasted 5 yrs not bad for a saw running far beyond it's factory specs ?

All things equal (same bar / chain ; fuel , cleaned filter etc) if Saw (a) out-cuts Saw (b) in 18” timber with a 20” bar and also outs cuts Saw (b) with a 32” bar in 30” timber then Saw (a) is quicker / more torque/hp than Saw (b) at least from a firewood Processing / bucking perspective ... Not a professional faller so maybe insight is lacking on that angle ... once you’ve played around inside and find a good recipe you can HEAR the results with a ballsy , throaty sound for sure ...  as far as cookie/ cutters go well that’s another kettle of fish ... pay close attention to the species of wood the gent is cutting AND the chain ... If a guy is cutting balsa wood with a square - ground chain (or cottonwood or any 600 or less Janka scale ) then yes !  His Saw looks like a ripper !  I’m just sayin there are a lot of guys who post “glamour” videos to drum up port-work sales ... put that same Saw in some hardwoods (sugar maple 1450 Janka) with a stock chain and it might not look so impressive then !

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

All things equal (same bar / chain ; fuel , cleaned filter etc) if Saw (a) out-cuts Saw (b) in 18” timber with a 20” bar and also outs cuts Saw (b) with a 32” bar in 30” timber then Saw (a) is quicker / more torque/hp than Saw (b) at least from a firewood Processing / bucking perspective ... Not a professional faller so maybe insight is lacking on that angle ... once you’ve played around inside and find a good recipe you can HEAR the results with a ballsy , throaty sound for sure ...  as far as cookie/ cutters go well that’s another kettle of fish ... pay close attention to the species of wood the gent is cutting AND the chain ... If a guy is cutting balsa wood with a square - ground chain (or cottonwood or any 600 or less Janka scale ) then yes !  His Saw looks like a ripper !  I’m just sayin there are a lot of guys who post “glamour” videos to drum up port-work sales ... put that same Saw in some hardwoods (sugar maple 1450 Janka) with a stock chain and it might not look so impressive then !

DSCF0054.jpg.c7d9648c00dc48aaec1d7ba8c738ad59.jpgDSCF0003.jpg.62327f1098957da44f46f30de9fa6a40.jpg

DSCF0428.JPG

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1