Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

Someone else commented that to equally compare working practices for IRATA to tree work...

Get the IRATA climber to install two ropes from the floor, scale to the top.  Drop back down a bit and enter a window.  Go through a room, into a corridor.  Go down a lift shaft into the third floor.  Do some work.  Back up a stairwell at the other side of building into another room then decent back the first floor for some more work then back out the window, climb back up to the top and decent over the backside of the building...

All the whole being connected via two ropes.  

It is absurd and ludicrous to think it would be a workable solution for IRATA.

So as tree climbers, why would we be expected to do it?

@AA Teccie (Paul) this needs reading out at the meeting, it’s the best description I’ve seen that a layman who doesn’t really know what we do can look at and say that’s utter madness what are the hse thinking?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Why doesn't every Arborist who is free on Tuesday go down to the meeting ‘French Style’ and make things clear to HSE that this thing stops now.

Is it me or dose see you next Tuesday have some sort of hidden message from the arb association ?

As you say anyone who is free too may do if they know the meeting place. I would guess that most arborists are too busy trying to make ends meet in an already competitive market and do not wish to let down their customers who have probably been waiting for over a month due to compliance to local planning authorities  paperwork. 

Such short notice inevitably commands a small unrepresentative response in the flesh..

Too those that can.. Thanks in advance. To those that have been in the know well in advance do us all justice. 

We are rope work professionals that have never been taken seriously and I hope that something good can come of this.. 

Said it before.. Training. Mentorship. A non rushed approach to becoming qualified is needed. We don't have the luxury of tested quantifiable anchorage as in industrial rope access in most of their operations. 

We do have A lot of literature on the subject of biomedical defects and strength in wood too some degree. 

The true professional approach comes from experience passed on. 

If accidents are to be reduced then serious consideration to the time it takes to apricate this should be paramount.

Throwing more rope to literally wrap us all up will not solve the problem. A poor primary  anchor point selection backed up is not a solution. It's an excuse. An inferior work positioning leading to rope severing is lazy and increased with fatigue due to time constraints amplified by the use of two working systems..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

It is crytic.  He was referring to someone being a C yoU Next Tuesday.

Bit harsh I feel.  To whom were you referring?

Apparently not obvious. Appolagies. No offence to anyone except the ones mentioned in the comment who as I feel see us all as a bunch of... c u next Tuesdays. Due to the lack of communication and respect that some people/companys within our industry should receive.

Loss of democracy is obviously predominant within this boys club system. We have a voice and unfortunately for most this forum is it for the average working class men. 

Cheers for the opportunity too all who make our small voices possible to be heard in this media..

Edited by Konstantly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will C said:

@AA Teccie (Paul) this needs reading out at the meeting, it’s the best description I’ve seen that a layman who doesn’t really know what we do can look at and say that’s utter madness what are the hse thinking?

Thank you Will. I can assure you it has been communicated, albeit perhaps not so eloquently. 

If the opportunity arises, and it is needed, I will endeavour to repeat it. 

Cheers,
Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Where perception is all important, this situation can hardly be regarded as the AA's finest hour.

There may well be lots of hard work in the background but quietly working in the background is not what makes for strong representation in my book.

From the beginning, 15 Aug 19, there was a fairly innocuous note at the AA's website - easily missed if you're busy:  

WWW.TREES.ORG.UK

A range of tree related help and advice for members of the public as well as tree surgeons.

Then I started this thread to give it wider exposure, 1 Sep 19 which has run to 52 pages and 519 responses: 

Then Tom started this thread to try and generate a more technical perspective, 7 Sep 19 which has run to 49 pages and 486 responses:

Plus there is a petition which runs to over 7k signatures: 

WWW.CHANGE.ORG

Single rope climbing for UK arborists

and a flurry of activity across Facebook with many and varied threads with much relevant feedback.

Then Konstantly posted details of the WG meeting next Tuesday....

Certainly appears that "the people" have more to say about this than "the system" is able or willing to embrace.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2