Hybrid poplar plantation growth rates?

Of course it depends on what habitat you are restoring. The removal of poplar plantations in East Anglia has been, in part, blamed for a decline in the breeding population of golden oriel.

I was involved in the clear fell of Scots pine on a raised mire SSSI. The reason being habitat restoration back to raised mire. Trouble was the resident red squirrels would be made homeless. The locals seemed to prefer the squirrels over rare dragon flies and other bog loving things that made the site special. Cue local uproar and unrest.

There's always a balance to be struck.

Hybrid pops just start falling apart at 30 years and a Scott’s pine will last for hundreds as woodland I know what I would choose .
Maybe the population originally was artificially boosted the plantations as they have always been a rare bird.

The Poplar Tree Company near Hereford have been processing Poplar for years, as matchwood and biomass. Their website gives stock costs and the like.

5 hours ago, Big J said:

Lovely cabin Billhook. I work with Dan quite a lot these days. Sell him timber, he saws timber for me :D

Send him my regards.  We are still looking after the statue of his ancestor  SirJohn Franklin, who discovered the North West Passage.

Tell Dan I will still be able to beat him at arm wrestling!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, difflock said:

I really like the cabin BillHook

The decking out front was a bit of an experiment with some Turkey Oak which I had lying about, but boy does that stuff warp and twist when left outside!   I need to replace it with something else really.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bogoak said:

I’ve just felled a young Poplar of about 14” diameter. The last couple of growth rings were about 1” wide: Quite impressive. 

Holy christ, that is quick! 

We're working out of a field at the moment that would make an outstanding poplar plantation. Nearly always wet, floods occasionally, bottom of a valley so trees would be drawn up. Just need to find some money!

7 hours ago, Khriss said:

These hybrids are actually mental- couple of sites in Essex an they are maturing fr harvest at under 20 yrs ! K

I can well believe it. If a neglected stand here can reach 2.5 cubic metres and 90ft per tree in 26 years, imagine what they could do if they were managed.