Jump to content
WesD

Birds/Nests

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

The swallows just landed at my farm a week or so ago. They're mint birds.

"at my farm"!!!!!!!! I thought you were part of the working classes? Now i find out you're a landowner. Lord mother of divine jaysus i am shocked!

Not many swallows up here either 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 3 or 4 bats out front of the house again tonight, they have been with us for a good few years but not seen anything of them just recently, just assumed they’d moved on?! Not too well up on bats and they’re goings ons? theyre great to watch and look at on a late evening.
Half expected to find clues on where they’d been living when i re-roofed house at front, but nothing!?? Maybe in next doors roof space??! They seem to fly very close to house, generally at gutter height, but they fly in a loop, takes approx 10 seconds at most before they come back past, which is whats making me think they are living very near by??! Would take some pics but i’m not quick enough really!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ratman said:

Got 3 or 4 bats out front of the house again tonight, they have been with us for a good few years but not seen anything of them just recently, just assumed they’d moved on?! Not too well up on bats and they’re goings ons? theyre great to watch and look at on a late evening.
Half expected to find clues on where they’d been living when i re-roofed house at front, but nothing!?? Maybe in next doors roof space??! They seem to fly very close to house, generally at gutter height, but they fly in a loop, takes approx 10 seconds at most before they come back past, which is whats making me think they are living very near by??! Would take some pics but i’m not quick enough really!

Splendid :) however don't put up fly paper in loft or nearby or the lil buggers get stuck to it. Good to hear they are still there after works. K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, breffni said:

"at my farm"!!!!!!!! I thought you were part of the working classes? Now i find out you're a landowner. Lord mother of divine jaysus i am shocked!

Not many swallows up here either 

It's a bit like saying 'my street'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I should have linked to Khrissssss' post for that to make any sense!  Bats -

 

We've got 2!  As I discovered after an eco mate found fresh poo upstairs in the barn.

 

So far they're likely to have cost about £250 each since the planning app for the barn conversion required a bat survey - which found the 2 after several hours of watching and listening (with audio gadgets) and 2 weeks of remote audio sensors in the barn.  Now need another emergent (sunset) survey to absolutely pin down where they are emerging from after the initial indications of the first survey.

 

It was quite cathartic to sit quietly for about 2 hours from 30 mins before sunset focussing on 1 particular area of roof.  Can't remember the last time I sat quietly for 2 hours and just listened to the world....

 

 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed Kev, night watch on Badgers,  very relaxing n then finding out yr blind in one eye fr a hour from nightscope ;) k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Indeed Kev, night watch on Badgers,  very relaxing n then finding out yr blind in one eye fr a hour from nightscope ;) k

Oh no, I’m afraid of the answer before I even ask the question....

 

Is that badger protection or badger culling....

 

Depending on the answer, it could be the end of a beautiful friendship before it’s even had a chance to blossom...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Oh no, I’m afraid of the answer before I even ask the question....

 

Is that badger protection or badger culling....

 

Depending on the answer, it could be the end of a beautiful friendship before it’s even had a chance to blossom...

.. Well I ain't dating one, if that's Wot you ment 😆 nope, tiz embankment undermining. If they occupy sett. Will get  licensed exclusion fencing n gating to get them moved on. Shooting Is an option here. But not one I would even offer to client. K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.