BT lines, who is responsible

gibbon

We do clearance for hi-line (BT subbed) and its always generally been that if you report a fault on the line hi line get someone to clear it, no charge to the home owner. Don't know how it works on customers property, but boundary trees and hedges are usually covered by hi line.

down here in cornwall you dont get the privelage of that , i spoke to bt about a 20 pair cable that had a tree sat on it and their reply to me was its not our problem and that if we dammaged their cable then we would be held responsible for paying for the replacement .

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK had quite a few jobs like this now. Firstly we should stop talking about 'BT'

Openreach have a contract which means they are responsible for all telephone lines, their maintainance, renewal repair etc. They do not prune cyclically or preventativly they will only repair tree related faults as & when they occour. You will find it very hard to talk to openreach directly & if you do they will bill you for their services.

"Openreach" is owned by BT, so its still BT.

The only time ive took one down, The guy was watching :laugh1::blushing: Came out and had a chat about it, I told him to ring up and see what the crack was, he rang BT BUT his phone line was threw Virgin media, So BT said they wont do anything as his calls are with someone else and obviously he doesnt even use the line.

PHEW!!! Result :lol:

OK had quite a few jobs like this now. Firstly we should stop talking about 'BT'

Openreach have a contract which means they are responsible for all telephone lines, their maintainance, renewal repair etc. They do not prune cyclically or preventativly they will only repair tree related faults as & when they occour. You will find it very hard to talk to openreach directly & if you do they will bill you for their services.

Openraches contract is with the government & the retail providers such as BT, Talk Talk, Tiscall etc etc.

if a customer has a fault they speak to their retail provider be it BT or talk talk or tiscalli etc to report the fault. The retail provider then speaks to openreach on a top secret phone number and tells them to fix it.

so if you are honest about the whole thing then you have to ring openreach & pay them to temporeraly remove the line & re-instate it Or pay them to repair it were you to bring it down.

the less honest way round it is to cut the line/ drop a log on it when taking down the tree & tell the customer to ring their retail provider & tell them a tree/ part of the tree fell on the line, the remainder of the tree is dangerous & the tree surgeons are on their way.

the third way is for you to ring openreach & tell them that a tree's promt failure is immenent/ a big limb has allready shed & pinned the line & that it is coming down today/ first thing tomorrow morning. & tell them that they should send an engineer out asap else the tree will bring it down.

I have succesfully done the latter several times & worked well, engineers were crakin blokes and exagerated the whole situation to their superiors 2 back my story up. Got their personal mob no's now which helps 2.

hope it helps

:thumbup: Most def live up to your avtar name:thumbup1:

• 5 years later...
Wear and tear from rubbing branches BT (Openreach?) fix for free?

Is this still the case?

Sure is the case I just done a clear fell on a site and only week before I started by replaced the line and dragged new line straight back through a hawthorn tree and 2 conifers the last by man I spoke to by engineer he told me by look at it as it's cheaper to drag the new line through with the old one and replace it once it's worn through again in about 5 to 10 years than to pay to have the lines cleared

Sure is the case I just done a clear fell on a site and only week before I started by replaced the line and dragged new line straight back through a hawthorn tree and 2 conifers the last by man I spoke to by engineer he told me by look at it as it's cheaper to drag the new line through with the old one and replace it once it's worn through again in about 5 to 10 years than to pay to have the lines cleared

It can depend on who's line it is and who's tree.

If they run a line over your land to another person and your tree grows up and rubs the wire, thats their lookout, but its your line and your tree that grows up and rubs the line, they can hold you responsible.