BT lines, who is responsible

gibbon

We do clearance for hi-line (BT subbed) and its always generally been that if you report a fault on the line hi line get someone to clear it, no charge to the home owner. Don't know how it works on customers property, but boundary trees and hedges are usually covered by hi line.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree we shouldn't be paying. Difficult situations there, it sounds like bt are stalling and the intermittant thign is an issue as its not a direct fault.

I cut a phone line this year with hedge trimmers, got the customer to report a fault, fixed within the day no worrries, no bill, no questions.

Broke a Bt line last yr & was told by a Bt mate of the guy I was working for to do the same thing.

Unfortunatly we were still on the site of the LA job when bloody Columbo rolled up in Bt uniform. We lied & carryed on even with the other people who lived on the street yacking on about how the dead lump hit the line & broke it.

After reading this post I feel a bit better as it seems to me Bt are just laying out their responsabilatys on the high bill rate & tax payer! Unfortunatly it can take 24 hr to respond which may cause some real probs for some people.

Some concert black & white paper would be nice to wave or refrer clients to so as not to unnessaseraly charge them for wrk that may not be needed.

Bring on the terror squirals:thumbup1:

I understand that removing BT cables yourself is in fact illegal. Just say, as someone on here has pointed out and I have used this one myself once or twice, that a dead branch fell on the wire.

They are a bloody nightmare to do now! 2 red, 2 white & 2 yellow to get back into the same terminals. Maybe I should start carrying about some coulerd tape to solve this prob.

Not that I would ever do it if it is illegal:blushing:

Ok BT lines now i know a fair bit on these bad boys.

Right if you cut the branch that takes down the line that £127.99 for the line to be repaired plus a £40.00 call out fee.

If the home owners tree takes down the line they have to pay the above fee.

If its next doors tree that takes your line down BT fix it for free.

If its outside your boundary where the line is 'cut' BT fix it for free.

Wear and tear from rubbing branches BT fix for free.

Hope this helps.

Ok BT lines now i know a fair bit on these bad boys.

Right if you cut the branch that takes down the line that £127.99 for the line to be repaired plus a £40.00 call out fee.

If the home owners tree takes down the line they have to pay the above fee.

If its next doors tree that takes your line down BT fix it for free.

If its outside your boundary where the line is 'cut' BT fix it for free.

Wear and tear from rubbing branches BT fix for free.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic:thumbup1: Black & white now!

You work for Bt I take it?

Where can I get a print out of the £ for above quotes ect?

Fantastic:thumbup1: Black & white now!

You work for Bt I take it?

Where can I get a print out of the £ for above quotes ect?

Nope, just wiped one out last week. If you call the faults line they will send you one out or at least tell you what i have. Thought as i'd took it out id find out what i could get away with in the future.:001_rolleyes:

OK had quite a few jobs like this now. Firstly we should stop talking about 'BT'

Openreach have a contract which means they are responsible for all telephone lines, their maintainance, renewal repair etc. They do not prune cyclically or preventativly they will only repair tree related faults as & when they occour. You will find it very hard to talk to openreach directly & if you do they will bill you for their services.

Openraches contract is with the government & the retail providers such as BT, Talk Talk, Tiscall etc etc.

if a customer has a fault they speak to their retail provider be it BT or talk talk or tiscalli etc to report the fault. The retail provider then speaks to openreach on a top secret phone number and tells them to fix it.

so if you are honest about the whole thing then you have to ring openreach & pay them to temporeraly remove the line & re-instate it Or pay them to repair it were you to bring it down.

the less honest way round it is to cut the line/ drop a log on it when taking down the tree & tell the customer to ring their retail provider & tell them a tree/ part of the tree fell on the line, the remainder of the tree is dangerous & the tree surgeons are on their way.

the third way is for you to ring openreach & tell them that a tree's promt failure is immenent/ a big limb has allready shed & pinned the line & that it is coming down today/ first thing tomorrow morning. & tell them that they should send an engineer out asap else the tree will bring it down.

I have succesfully done the latter several times & worked well, engineers were crakin blokes and exagerated the whole situation to their superiors 2 back my story up. Got their personal mob no's now which helps 2.

hope it helps