What would you have done with this tree?

Thesnarlingbadger

1 hour ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Not a bad shout but then I’d be adding more ropes in to an already tight spot with the rigging line as well. Although the trees behind look taller the angle I was at when roped in to then was near horizontal and made getting in to a comfortable position a nightmare.

Yeah. Looked again. I think I might change my answer to rigging more of the branches (with groundsman with a tagline/pole+hook). If a rigging rope comes in horizontally ish from another tree , you'll be putting the trunk in compression relatively nicely. Or just keep the guys and rig from each stub. Fishpoling or trunk wrapping might make a tiny difference to the bowing or might just make you feel better.
Or a rigging line from another tree could be used as a cradle so you're not lowering over the building. That might even stand the tree up under load.
One of the branches looks to go off more vertical than the others and might take a redirect from another tree or even a main point on a base tie, either set with a pole/throwline? Like the rigging line coming in horizontally, a climbing line coming in horizontally from another tree will put a reasonable compression load on the branch/tree and you could make it a bit of guyline if you're happy with your climbing line taking that (pretty static) strain.

That's a bit of a ramble isn't it. Hope something of use in there.
Hard to say from pictures obviously but it looks doable. I've done similar. Not elegant. A lot of straddling etc.

Put the ply over the Velux windows.

Khriss might be right of course.

11 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I’ve only ever walked away from one job in the past

Of the two trees in 12 years I've walked away from one was a "funny" feeling ash in Richmond.  It was due to be reduced but each anchor point I tried felt like a worn spring.  At one, I found a trio of holes at the top and put my hand in to test the extent of the assumed decay and got slashed by something.  I went to the hospital for tropical diseases that evening as Surrey had records of rabies in the bat population.  I was advised to "make sure" it was a bat before the course injections.  So back up the foamy tree to the holes:  poked a stick in the top one and a damn grey squirrel shot out and proceeded to heckle me out of the tree :)

• Haha 3

Badger, you were up the tree, we weren’t.

You’re experienced enough to know that when a tree doesn’t ‘move’ right it may be time for plan B.

MEWP sounds like a good call.

High value targets, gas bottles, LV lines. 

Not a good situation for a tree to shit itself under loading.

????☄️

• Like 8

Can not agree more with Mark Bolam.

We can all sit here second guessing scenarios with increasingly epic amounts of kit but ultimately,

if you're in that tree when it goes wrong.....

I applaud your honesty Badger and your courage sometimes it's real hard to not be the man that can.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I’ve always said I’d never ask anyone to do want I couldn’t/wouldn’t.

A good principle indeed. Should gain respect from your workers. 

I make the exception to this rule when it comes to lifting timber - a small 59 year old cannot lift what a 25 year old can, or what he could when 25.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I was recently asked by a landscaper if I could nip out and take down an ash for him, he would do it himself but has a knackered shoulder, he said it was half a days work and there were a few beaches hanging over a roof.

On the other hand I don't think the landscaper earns any respect.

I would probably have waked away from the job. No shame in that. Sometimes it makes sense to walk away on financial grounds/risk of damage to roof etc.

I had to remove a low heavy branch from a regular customer's Sweet Chestnut some years ago. His neighbour had put an expensive summerhouse under the tree on his side then not long after noticed a longitudinal crack in the branch. The tree owner and I managed to persuade the neighbour to sign a damage disclaimer.

No way was I going to do a £300 job with risk of costly damage. Neighbour was an odd/awkward sort. Did the job, no damage, left place tidy. No word of thanks from neighbour. His wife was totally different and really appreciative.

Its very difficult,almost impossible to know how to remove that tree on the strength of some pictures.

It looks a pain in the arse and if your gut is telling you its a no no then you made the right call.

On the other hand i bet theres a wee voice in the back of your head sayin stop being a big blouse and get the job done!

In my experience there are 2 types of climbers,one will do the job and be slow and steady very cautious,plan everything to the last detail,then theres the other type with absolutly no fear to the point of stupid and will climb anything.

Ive walked away from more than a couple of trees and heard others went up with no problem,i have no issue with that...im slowly slowly catchy monkey go home at the end of the day type of guy.

Dont be too hard on youself mate

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buffalo606 said:

Of the two trees in 12 years I've walked away from one was a "funny" feeling ash in Richmond.  It was due to be reduced but each anchor point I tried felt like a worn spring.  At one, I found a trio of holes at the top and put my hand in to test the extent of the assumed decay and got slashed by something.  I went to the hospital for tropical diseases that evening as Surrey had records of rabies in the bat population.  I was advised to "make sure" it was a bat before the course injections.  So back up the foamy tree to the holes:  poked a stick in the top one and a damn grey squirrel shot out and proceeded to heckle me out of the tree :)

Perfect example of why you should never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2