Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Just now, doobin said:

I’d stick with just pallet forks. All you need for moving and loading butts and much easier to handle stacked cants with. 

I’ll be getting forks asap. The Tines are just what it comes with. I’ll add a grab regardless, I personally find them invaluable for positioning and re-positioning. For example, one of the oak logs I loaded was 28”x32”. I can’t run the mill past a 32” log but can with a 28”, so I picked it up and grabbed it so the 32” was top to bottom. Saved me having to manually turn a log close to 2t with my Cant hook one less time. 

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ll be getting forks asap. The Tines are just what it comes with. I’ll add a grab regardless, I personally find them invaluable for positioning and re-positioning. For example, one of the oak logs I loaded was 28”x32”. I can’t run the mill past a 32” log but can with a 28”, so I picked it up and grabbed it so the 32” was top to bottom. Saved me having to manually turn a log close to 2t with my Cant hook one less time. 

I’ve found it very easy with a forklift to turn a log against the stops and pin it there whilst I dog it up. Granted thats a counterbalance forklift on flat concrete so might not work so well on the Massey in a yard setting. 

I’ll never knock anyone for buying any kind of grab as you know 😉 possibly consider adding a euro quick hitch if you are going down this route. Would be very handy, you’d not loose much lift capacity and it would probably be cheaper overall than sourcing or building attachments to fit. Euro bracket grabs and forks are very common. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

’ll never knock anyone for buying any kind of grab as you know 😉 possibly consider adding a euro quick hitch if you are going down this route. Would be very handy, you’d not loose much lift capacity and it would probably be cheaper overall than sourcing or building attachments to fit. Euro bracket grabs and forks are very common. 

Euro hitch is how I’m planing on going forward. Would open up using the equipment on the Estate as well. 

Another reason I like the Log grab is when I’m bouncing around with 4.8-6m long logs. I’ve done it without the grab and it’s a nightmare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

What was the size of that oak log if it was too big for your mill? 😳

That must have been a killer if a day. I hope you charged accordingly! 
What’s his plans for the beams? It’s cracking looking oak.

Yeah decent size Andy at least 1.3m diameter, too much to trim to fit the mill, Alaskan wasn’t too slow at slabbing it up. The lad who I was doing it for is a joiner and has plans for his property which is where the beams will end up eventually, Job was on the family farm where we had use of a decent telehandler and to be honest he was very hands on knew what was what and mucked in for the whole day which helped. Long day 13hrs on-site plus travel but worth it. 
looking forward to getting back into dive control for a rest 😂

Edited by Johnsond

36 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Euro hitch is how I’m planing on going forward. Would open up using the equipment on the Estate as well. 

Another reason I like the Log grab is when I’m bouncing around with 4.8-6m long logs. I’ve done it without the grab and it’s a nightmare. 

You can get a euro hitch backplate for around £200 delivered on eBay. I bought one to adapt for the linkage on the alpine tractor. 

The Kelfri log grab is rough but cheap. 

for a curveball- what about a hydraulic clamp for your pallet forks? Best of both worlds? This looks just the ticket, design appears perfect even for smaller stuff. 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Pallet Fork Log Grab -...

Edited by doobin
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, doobin said:

You can get a euro hitch backplate for around £200 delivered on eBay. I bought one to adapt for the linkage on the alpine tractor. 

The Kelfri log grab is rough but cheap. 

for a curveball- what about a hydraulic clamp for your pallet forks? Best of both worlds? This looks just the ticket, design appears perfect even for smaller stuff. 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Pallet Fork Log Grab -...

That pallet fork log grab is exact what I’d look to get. I assume it does not come with the forks?

What does a hydraulic clamp look like? 

What does this Kelfri log grab look like?

A whole new world opened to me now. 🤣

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

That pallet fork log grab is exact what I’d look to get. I assume it does not come with the forks?

What does a hydraulic clamp look like? 

What does this Kelfri log grab look like?

A whole new world opened to me now. 🤣

I assumed that price was for the forks and clamp combined. Says various brackets available, that suggests one unit. Looks great value. I’ve seen just clamps for around £700 so the price would be right there for both. 

The kelfri log grab is great for handling just logs or large amounts of brash- but the pallet tines with the clamp look simply ideal for a sawmill yard. This is the kelfri

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Timber Grab for Frontloader (Euro...

Edited by doobin

Just now, doobin said:

The kelfri log grab is great for handling just logs or large amounts of brash- but the pallet tines with the clamp look simply ideal for a sawmill yard. This is the kelfri

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Timber Grab for Frontloader (Euro...

Ah, this is where we’re getting confused. 🤣

We’re calling the same thing different names. What I’m referring to as a log grab is what you’re calling a clamp that goes with the forks. (Which is called a log grab in the listing you posted 😁

Ill have a look at the link for the “log grab” you just posted. 

thanks again. 

• Like 1