Today's milling

Rough Hewn

11 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Why , do you recon the birch was harder to mill than the oak Andy ?

Really don’t know? We reckon it was 100 years old. Got three nice bits out of the tree. 

I can be totally done with a band in Spruce but I’ll get another hour or two in Oak with the same band. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Lovely!  I have no idea why more birch logs don’t get offered for milling.  On the occasions I get birch logs the timber always sells quickly once dry.

Is that right? I’ve milled a few bits but it’s more boring than Beech. I’ve not advertised it right enough. It’s just drying. 

Talking of Beech. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Is that right? I’ve milled a few bits but it’s more boring than Beech. I’ve not advertised it right enough. It’s just drying. 

Talking of Beech. 😁

Yes; I don’t get a lot of people asking for birch, but show the customer a dry board sanded or planed and they sell well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

I know you were asking Andy but I would imagine the wood is a lot more fibrous thank oak. Makes it much harder to mill. Milling oak is a dream with a chainsaw compared to more fibrous stuff like pine or poplar. 👍

I think I just inadvertently agreed with your diagnosis in my reply to Stubby. But it milled as smooth as butter/oak I think due to its age. Just milled bloody slow and unusually for my Logosol I got wavey cuts and a laboured engine all the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think I just inadvertently agreed with your diagnosis in my reply to Stubby. But it milled as smooth as butter/oak I think due to its age. Just milled bloody slow and unusually for my Logosol I got wavey cuts and a laboured engine all the time. 

I cut some discs years ago to mount roe heads - when cut (freshly felled) it was as soft as butter.

left some to dry over a couple of years and it was like iron to work

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Yes; I don’t get a lot of people asking for birch, but show the customer a dry board sanded or planed and they sell well.

Most of the Birch I’ve milled is pure white. This is a rainbow of colours at the heart. 

Not mine unfortunately. I swapped the mill time for branch logger time. 

Easily selling a trailer load for £200 a time plus fuel. 

8EDE5B18-15F0-4A24-9567-7AB25FC6271C.jpeg

9F8897A3-377B-471F-A5AD-2DDA344CDC88.jpeg

ED1B3758-33B1-4C25-A1E6-51C6D17CBA15.jpeg

• Like 1

Had a spare day or so so milled up some Scots Pine and a nice Beech log at my house. Not had the mill here for about a year now. Was gonna just firewood the Beech but glad I saved it (and it’s sister) as it had really nice colours. Again even my iPhone 14 Pro Max struggles to capture the colours and makes it look full of rot. 

Got a load of 2.5” slabs and a nice 6” butcher block outta it. 

Quite dark for Beech. Some Purple in there too. 

D77A3746-8D62-4743-8E0B-E3E5956CC8BF.jpeg

21285A8C-914F-48A1-BADB-09D5A1282938.jpeg

C9FFE51B-5C9E-4B59-B3A8-AB80354BBA86.jpeg

99D51FEA-46AD-4A26-B975-DA95EC518FFB.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Had a spare day or so so milled up some Scots Pine and a nice Beech log at my house. Not had the mill here for about a year now. Was gonna just firewood the Beech but glad I saved it (and it’s sister) as it had really nice colours. Again even my iPhone 14 Pro Max struggles to capture the colours and makes it look full of rot. 

Got a load of 2.5” slabs and a nice 6” butcher block outta it. 

Quite dark for Beech. Some Purple in there too. 

D77A3746-8D62-4743-8E0B-E3E5956CC8BF.jpeg

21285A8C-914F-48A1-BADB-09D5A1282938.jpeg

C9FFE51B-5C9E-4B59-B3A8-AB80354BBA86.jpeg

99D51FEA-46AD-4A26-B975-DA95EC518FFB.jpeg

Very nice 👍 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I milled some reasonably big Birch recently with the Alaskan, but not quite wide as big as your log... It was the but of a multi stemmed  tree, about 2 feet wide in total and it had been left standing for only around 6 months in the summer [ wet west coast ] since I took the rest for firewood, it was nicely coloured  and very woolly to cut and tended to clog in the kerf due to the fast rate of rot in Birch.

Most of my firewood is birch and I've long since learnt the hard way just how quickly it rots.. but just how nice it is if cut and stacked really fresh and is one of the woods that benefits most by being painted with a Borax solution in order to prevent fungal degradation while seasoning..

I can see from your pics that the colours in your milled birch indicate you just saved it from mush 👍👍

My next one is about  the size of yours, and I'll mill it before I chog up the rest for firewood and it should be creamy white, Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1