Estimated quantity of logs from tree sugury

Woodowner

8 minutes ago, peds said:

Yes yes, we know, but what exactly were you given for lunch? That could make or break the deal!

Haha! Well, I had coffee and hot (as in just baked) cinnamon whirls brought down to where I was working, and a variety of modest but tasty lunch offerings. ?

23 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

?

You and I know just because you’re correctly geared up to do the job shouldn’t make it any cheaper mate.

Easier, faster, more efficient, yes, but never cheaper! I appreciate this was for a mate, different ball game.

We often work out cheaper than local ‘gardeners’ because we can do in a couple of hours which would take them an honest weeks toil.

Sorry Vesp!

I’ll look forward to meeting you one day J, we can blow the froth off a couple and put the world to rights.

No excuse not to now you’re a southerner like me!

Economies of scale kick in a lot in our industry. A labourer with a spade might only charge you £8/hr to dig a pond, but an chap with an excavator charging £35/hr will cost you half as much.

An adopted southerner I may be, but you do more than 10 years north of the wall and they make you get a tattoo of a haggis when you leave. I'll have to live with that, and the acquired penchant for deep fried food.

I look forward to a pint or four. Maybe I ought to bring the little forwarder to one of the Arb shows on behalf of Logbullet :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

?

We often work out cheaper than local ‘gardeners’ because we can do in a couple of hours which would take them an honest weeks toil.

Sorry Vesp!

Haven't I made a point about this....   you wont be cheaper than me at all..  I'd like to think I'd charge as much as you for a job..

were you might gain on me is speed..  you'd be on the next job as I was a quarter way through the same job...  but we'd hopefully get the same money for the same job..  

You'd make more money in a week, but I'd be happy as I don't give a monkeys if you did..  

its not how fast you can do it, or the equipment and plant you have to hand.. its how much should a job be reasonably priced all variables considered..     only after the price has been ascertained does the speed of operation come into play..  IE you can do it faster and be home sooner..  or onto the next job..

As I don't give a toss how long a job takes I'm no worse off than you..   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Its not how fast you can do it, or the equipment and plant you have to hand

But it is and that fact you dont know that means you wont earn as much as a tree firm does.

Time is money bud.

If you got a job that takes you all day because your less experienced/lacking in equipment/slower than me then i can knock out 3 jobs in that same day.

Its really that simple

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

But it is and that fact you dont know that means you wont earn as much as a tree firm does.

Time is money bud.

If you got a job that takes you all day because your less experienced/lacking in equipment/slower than me then i can knock out 3 jobs in that same day.

Its really that simple

Your not kidding, exactly the point I've been making...

And I don't need to be making anything like a tree firm makes.. chopping tree's is a hobby of sorts.  not really interested in getting into production..

• Like 2

Well, if the OP is going to use an 80's pop singer instead of a bona fide tree "surgeon" then so be it.

download.jpg.841c36468e44895cd2dd0ec3e6c25c00.jpg

Madness!

Reading this thread, B'Jesus, there are a lot of people running business without a clue whatsoever, I think a few of you lads should register as a charity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Haven't I made a point about this....   you wont be cheaper than me at all..  I'd like to think I'd charge as much as you for a job..

were you might gain on me is speed..  you'd be on the next job as I was a quarter way through the same job...  but we'd hopefully get the same money for the same job..  

You'd make more money in a week, but I'd be happy as I don't give a monkeys if you did..  

its not how fast you can do it, or the equipment and plant you have to hand.. its how much should a job be reasonably priced all variables considered..     only after the price has been ascertained does the speed of operation come into play..  IE you can do it faster and be home sooner..  or onto the next job..

As I don't give a toss how long a job takes I'm no worse off than you..   

You have missed my point Vesp.

A small fell.

It would take you all day.

You’re happy with £150.

We smash it with 3 of us in an hour and charge £110 (and with £40k’s worth of kit, admittedly).

Ask the customer-

Who is cheapest?

And who gave the ‘rip off’ price then?

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

You have missed my point Vesp.

A small fell.

It would take you all day.

You’re happy with £150.

We smash it with 3 of us in an hour and charge £110 (and with £40k’s worth of kit, admittedly).

Ask the customer-

Who is cheapest?

And who gave the ‘rip off’ price then?

No you've obviously missed my point.. 

Most people look at a tree job and figure a price, we come to a consensus that its worth 150..

Thus you'd be charging that amount..   

If you decided that you'd undercut the value to get the job then its you who's losing money on the job by twenty quid..  I'd be getting the going rate and thus be better off than you..

And yes, 150 for day just now would be just fine..   my philosophy on life is to have a work life balance..  I live frugally that my time can be spent doin what I want and not what I have to, to make money... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1