Abandoning our ex forces

stihlmadasever

18 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

This is an interesting point! Although I wouldn't claim to have PTSD. I believe I may have been affected in other ways. Having served in both Gulf wars, I was given a huge cocktail of drugs including such  delights as Anthrax and NAPS (Nerve Agent Pre-treatment Set) plus others! As many as 5 different types in one session as well as antimalarials! Anyway, Gulf war syndrome, (which according to our government doesn't exist), includes such symptoms as Thyroid problems. By strange coincidence my Thyroid gland is not as it should be and I have to take Thyroxine every day for the rest of my life! Maybe just a coincidence?9_9

SG

Larium Thursday.....  ??????????????

We had it listed as a mitigating factor if a disciplinary case occurred....

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 13.04.27.png

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I doubt it. Antimalarials are poison, or were, if they're using something different now. I know a guy who got permanent bipolar from a course of antimalarials twenty odd years ago. He says he was normal before the course, and is sure that's what caused it. 

Doubt what? We took Paludrine daily and Nivaquine weekly. Other stuff was available if you couldn't take those.

SG

6 hours ago, Vespasian said:

So doctors and psychologists who're tasked with curing the mental illness of soldiers don't have any right to treat em as they didn't suffer the horrors of war..  

Reminds me of those ex players who're now pundits..   someone phones in accuses current players of not being up to the job in some way or ain't fit to wear a shirt and the ex player brings out, The Caller Never Played. thus has no legitimate opinion...

Just because I haven't been a soldier don't mean I can't read about their struggles and also read about related subjects over the years..  mental health issues fore instance..  amongst other things and come to a conclusion of my own..

I think whats really pissing some off is I wasn't there.. how dare he share in our grief..  opine on our suffering..

what a load of shite..   anyways I'm off for a few days.. I'll be doing what most of those suffering soldiers aught be doing, getting out and doing something instead of stewing on past events..

I guess the years of medical training makes them qualified to diagnose and treat conditions they have never had. 

I'm not talking about solely watching you tube videos as research either.

I've never served in the armed forces and would never want to, the least us civvies can do is help with financial support and hope our taxes are spent wisely.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I doubt that your thyroid problem is a coincidence. Well, I suppose it could be...

My mother has the same problem, but it is less common in blokes I believe and not thought to be hereditary. Guess I'll just never know. Burning oil fields, depleted uranium etc can't be good for you either?  I also flew through a cloud of some kind of Sulphuric smelling gas/smoke at night and nearly choked. Got grounded for a week for that, (as in not allowed to fly - not because I'd been naughty!):laugh1:

SG

46 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

This is an interesting point! Although I wouldn't claim to have PTSD. I believe I may have been affected in other ways. Having served in both Gulf wars, I was given a huge cocktail of drugs including such  delights as Anthrax and NAPS (Nerve Agent Pre-treatment Set) plus others! As many as 5 different types in one session as well as antimalarials! Anyway, Gulf war syndrome, (which according to our government doesn't exist), includes such symptoms as Thyroid problems. By strange coincidence my Thyroid gland is not as it should be and I have to take Thyroxine every day for the rest of my life! Maybe just a coincidence?9_9

SG

...an add to that the amounts of depleted uranium dust you will have breathed in whilst out there ( tank busting rounds - massively ignored ) k

• Like 1

some very interesting points coming out here, one side ex military who have seen the raw side, and on the other non military, who will only have what the media showed, unfourtunatly most of these people will never understand as to which point your normality goes and you become a machine, eat, sleep, fight, and literly shit, when you are told to, hours, days, even months of this does something to your brain, you adopt a different outlook on life, then WHAM your dumped back into cvillian life and expected to conform to a different set of rules, and any transgression........your a danger to society, the very society that took, trained, used then dumped you, with no thought of how you might react, it is a great tribute to the magority of vetrans that  they have re-assimilated back into "normal civillian"life with no problems, the few stories that are making the news are only the tip of an ever growing iceberg, and IT IS going to come back and haunt the goverments of this country for a very very long time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and before anyone asks, yes I am ex military,  and  ex civillian contractor to mod, and been involved in most of  the conflicts of the last 30 years, and if asked now would  do It again, the simple answer would be f**koff, for some rich bast**d to get richer, no chance,   with age comes knowledge, which I wish I had  had acsess to all those years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1