Tree removal, heave worry

Wigan_TRAV

Question

I am thinking of removing this tree in our front garden. I have heard that tree removal can cause issues with ground heave. The tree is around 2-3m from the house. The soil is quite dark and peaty I think and there has previously been mining activity in the area. any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20180924_173741069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180924_173750862.jpg

6 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Heave is dependent on soil type and climate, both of whch are location-sensitive. Where are you? If you don't say, there's no point in anyone commenting. There's already a low chance of shrinkable clays in areas that have coal deposits, but htat'sjust based on my geology background.

That's a bit harsh.  We often comment on here with far less information..

Even if we were aware of the soil MPI and depth of the foundations we couldn't be 100% sure there would be no risk of heave. The soil is described as peaty so not clayey (although I think there are a few peaty soils that shrink), it is looks to be a modern house, the tree is not massive and looks to have been planted after the house was built.. With the caveat "if your not on a shrinkable clay," I think we can be pretty certain there is a low risk of heave after the removal of the tree...   

But even if there is, there is nothing sensible you can do to stop it happening if you remove the tree but fix any damage. So crack on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

That's a bit harsh.  We often comment on here with far less information..

It was a bit harsh, but what's the point in speculating and worrying someone unnecessarily?

Chances of a peaty soil in an urban environment are low. That may just be the topsoil. So why read anything into it without knowing the geology?

I think the OP is worried over nothing... Your post made it seem like there could be an issue..

Assume the soil has a high MPI, what would be your advice be?

If you remove the tree there is nothing reasonable to do to stop the heave and retaining the tree would risk the house suffering subsidence...

12 hours ago, Wigan_TRAV said:

I am thinking of removing this tree in our front garden. I have heard that tree removal can cause issues with ground heave. The tree is around 2-3m from the house. The soil is quite dark and peaty I think and there has previously been mining activity in the area. any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20180924_173741069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180924_173750862.jpg

Or here is another spin on the situation.  If the tree is left there perhaps it could cause subsidence?

As has been already said a modern house should have good deep foundations, and if it is not clay soil probably nothing to worry about.

Did the soil in the garden dry and crack over the summer?  I live in a clay area and my front garden was full of fissures until the recent rain.  And yes my house did subside due (in part) to a close tree.

6 hours ago, benedmonds said:

I think the OP is worried over nothing... Your post made it seem like there could be an issue..

Assume the soil has a high MPI, what would be your advice be?

If you remove the tree there is nothing reasonable to do to stop the heave and retaining the tree would risk the house suffering subsidence...

Is this addressed at me? I'm just trying to help the guy to get to the point. You are inviting exactly the sort of potentially needless speculation that I was trying to avoid. It would be much more productive if OP could answer a few preliminary questions, to narrow it down. Where is he/she anyway?