Peg hazard!

Mark Bolam

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad your ok mark .. hate pegs myself for two reasons one is like you said and the other is life lines seem to make a habit of tying half hitches around them then you get stuck and cant decend...not good!

last time i climbed on pegs on a thuja i had forgotten to put spikes on i slipped off a peg when the bark stripped it self off on my weight and i slammed my calf in to the peg, could hardly walk for a week with the bruising!

Why???

Its just habit now . I gaffed out years ago and was only using my flip line . Anyway that little stubb saved me . Since then I have adopted a much safer practice .Any how I still do leave the odd peg . Depends on the tree if theres no branches to cut off I will have no pegs . Its the truth .:001_smile:

I could of just said I have a unique style of climbing :lol:

I think SOME pegs, left for strategic reasons, are OK, you will all know of certain situations where they may help. Know where they are, and why you left them.

In my situation it was my own fault I had needlessly left 1/2 a peg because I was rushing. A straightforward 40' stem (with very few dead spike limbs left) is a one climb job requiring no pegs to be left. Stupid mistake.

I know what you are saying about a peg saving you mate, but your flip line will choke around a smooth stem before you hit the deck. Trust me. Just dig the splinters out of your chin!

Neck fine, slightly tender spot that I intend to pour multiple pints on tomorrow night at the SE Arbtalk get-together to heal.

Rich Rule and Mick Stockbridge to buy me my first beers for failing to point out to me that I am a work-shy blunt-sawed Geordie layabout who can't be bothered to flush his pegs.:001_tt2: