Cabstar or Transit

Treepeople1

On 15/08/2018 at 07:12, Treepeople1 said:

Hi all, sadly my 04 Cabstar has reached its shelf time and I’m looking for a new Arb truck any thoughts on what’s the better option these days? I was thinking a later Cabstar or possibly a transit Iv done my years over different firms working from transits but the Cabstar pulls like a train in comparison.

Can I ask for what specific reasons you are getting rid? 

On 15/08/2018 at 07:12, Treepeople1 said:

Transit man myself, but nothing against cabstars.

In the end all of these 3.5 tonne tippers carry the same (legally) you could go out and drop tens of thousands on an Iveco Flashbangwallop TDI and still not carry anymore chip than a 20 year old transit.

Meaning you won’t be any more productive with one than the other.

Of course there is the whole issue of looking tidy, professional and profitable, but that’s a different matter. By the time the chip van is on the job you’ve already secured the work in your quoting vehicle.

• Like 4

Hi there, yes unfortunately the gearbox needs a complete rebuild then although I had all the cab mounts welded a few years ago it now needs another tone of welding all over including the tipper bed. Also there is issues with the steering and anti roll bar then bushes etc etc the list goes on. What’s strange is on the MOT last year it only had an advisory on a rear tire. [emoji848] it’s not cost affective to fix given it’s so old and I need a reliable truck everyday. She has done me proud though I just sometimes think a bit more space in the cab would be nice!!!!

2 hours ago, Treepeople1 said:

Also there is issues with the steering and anti roll bar then bushes

I had to replace my anti roll bar because the bushes had worn it so much.

Was a bit surprised that had happened and then years later the same was happening again. Wrapped it in insulation tape and new bushes to hide it.

On 18/08/2018 at 10:41, Mick Dempsey said:

Transit man myself, but nothing against cabstars.

In the end all of these 3.5 tonne tippers carry the same (legally) you could go out and drop tens of thousands on an Iveco Flashbangwallop TDI and still not carry anymore chip than a 20 year old transit.

Meaning you won’t be any more productive with one than the other.

Of course there is the whole issue of looking tidy, professional and profitable, but that’s a different matter. By the time the chip van is on the job you’ve already secured the work in your quoting vehicle.

Not quite right, as the transit has one of the lowest payloads. Transit crew cab standard tipper, carries 750kg. Cabstar equivelent, carries 980kg. Not much difference, but a margin none the less

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Sure, crew cabs are the wrong choice for Arb imo anyway.

Ally body/steel body can make a big difference as well.

Absolutely, apart from the rubbish payload (and weight distribution) if you need to be able to carry more than 3 guys then the work they should be producing would need more than a 3.5 tonner.

End of.

• Like 1