Muddy yard

Dom

might be to do with the type of ground your putting it on, light chalky ground down here works fine, but get some sloppy clay it could be bad news i guess.

Get it down before the ground gets to wet might help, prevention is better than cure!

never had any problems with it looks smart and horses or vehicles dont move it.

Better with more wood chip than leaf for obvious reasons

FYI: road planings (tarmac scalpings) are classed as hazardous waste, to use tarmac scalpings to construct, repair and maintain tracks and roads requires an exemption, the exemption is known as a 19A exemption

The use of small quantities of road planings on tracks and roads under a Paragraph 19 exemption

Our position on the use of small quantities of road planings on tracks and roads under a Paragraph 19 exemption.

The issue

Generally, using road planings (tarmac scalpings) to construct, repair and maintain tracks and roads requires an exemption . This exemption is known as a 19 exemption.

Paragraph 19 allows a wide range of wastes for certain construction purposes. It costs £565 to register this exemption (and £426 in subsequent years).

However, the Environment Agency is a proportionate regulator and we do not want to apply controls, or place a cost on industry where it may not be necessary.

We want to encourage the use of road planings on tracks and roads (including non-agricultural tracks and roads) and are aware that having to register and pay for this exemption may discourage this use.

Regulatory position

While we work with Government and others to fully investigate how the use of road planings should be regulated, we will adopt the following regulatory position.

We will not pursue the registration of a 19 of Schedule 3 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 exemption for the storage and use of less than 150 tonnes per annum per site of road planings in the construction, repair and maintenance of tracks and roads provided that:

the relevant objectives are complied with;

there is no harm to human health or pollution of the environment as a result of the activity; and,

those wishing to benefit from this position inform us of their name, address and contact telephone number, and the address where the tarmac planings are to be stored and used.

This regulatory position is being reviewed and in the meantime customers can still operate under it.

When someone asks for a paragraph 19 form we will advise him/her of this position and tell them how to pass their details to us.

The relevant objectives require:

"...that waste is recovered or disposed of without endangering human health and without using processes or methods which could harm the environment and in particular without -

(i) risk to water, air, soil, plants or animals; or

(ii) causing nuisance through noise or odours; or

(iii) adversely affecting the countryside or places of special interest."

In line with our enforcement and prosecution guidance we would not normally pursue enforcement action for the non-registration of this exemption in these restricted circumstances.

However we reserve the right to take enforcement action where pollution or harm has been caused by the use or storage of road planings under this regulatory position.

Where an exemption has already been registered for the use of less than 150 tonnes of road planings, there will be no refund. Those taking advantage of this regulatory position should ensure that they comply with any requirement imposed under planning controls.

You can download our full position statement on the use of road planings to construct, repair and maintain tracks and roads below.

Paragraph 19A exemption - full position statement (Adobe PDF 0.13Mb)

Full position statement on the use of small quantities of road planings on tracks and roads under a Paragraph 19A exemption.

Form PLAN2

If you want to use less than 150 tonnes of road planings/tarmac scalpings to construct, repair or maintain tracks and roads you don't need to register an exemption. Complete and return the form below.

Form PLAN 2 (Adobe PDF 0.03Mb)

Use this form if you want to use small quantities of road planings/tarmac scalpings for the construction, repair and maintenance of tracks or roads.

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of permission to lay roads / tracks - I have some land that is part of a SSSI ( Site of Special Scientific Interest ), when I asked English Nature ( the statutory body responsible for regulating SSSIs) if I could lay a road to help access to my woodsheds and ease extraction they were only too pleased to allow a class A track and even put me onto the Forestry Commissions scheme to pay 80% of the cost.

They are very keen to get woodland back into productive use, so maybe ( just a thought ) some of you could cut a deal with some woodland owners to develop some new sites in woodlands.

I know that there are more regulations and complications if you are bringing wood in from elsewhere too, but with people reporting yard rents of £200pw this has got to be worth a go - and maybe with Copenhagen on everybodies mind it would be a good time to play the renewable energy business card.

If the deal included you putting the woodlands back into active production / rotation as part of the rent that might help, as I wrote, they are dead keen to get the woods working again.

You just need to be a farmer :001_tt2:

:blushing:reading this thread with interest.......between me and my neighbour (who share a lane) we had about 1000 tons dropped here last year for free:thumbup:All used in field gateways, yard covering and track repair/ instatement...The yard in my avatar is covered by a load. 8 wheelers on turn around all night for four nights from a30 works.