me new bigger pond

difflock

3 minutes ago, difflock said:

Too fornicatingly long, the fornicated about wi a billdozer in the rain and only made a hash, then had to bring in a digger as well, it was so bad I cut my losses and reduced the size of the pond by 33%, it was meant to be 20m by 30m but is now 20m square(ish)

And they were there a wheen o hours then went somewhere else,  and came back days later, then a burst pipe, then more rain etc etc, etc etc.

So I might dig a 3rd pond in the gap between me other 2 ponds?

It looks much bigger than 20m square I must say.

• Like 1

I’ve dug these few small ponds recently with a 3 tonner- it did it ok- there were some pretty massive boulder which I used to shore up the sides as they were tending to migrate into the water. One of them was filling up quicker than I could dig it! 

51580791-984F-45A5-A4D1-5ECD42E5B5B0.jpeg

6BE7784E-7522-476D-B57C-DBEB6709FC21.jpeg

BDB3496C-73A2-45E4-A0E0-8ADFE2371F3F.jpeg

45A8FE57-D4C5-4EE0-8D15-0A403E614D3F.jpeg 

the last pic of the pond has sine been extended out laterally to make it less doughnut shaped.

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 2

IMG_1978.jpg
I’m guessing this is clay under the surface and self sealing ?
Originally there was a small pond dug for ducks but it would not fill as land drains just quickly emptied it and they could not block them ,so it’s ended up at quite a pathetic size and level to the left and lower is where I was thinking. There was a water course that’s been diverted so I was thinking dig then redivert to it’s original course.
IMG_1971.jpgIMG_1980.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

What are the symptoms of 'Small Pond Envy'?

Can you go for medical enhancement or are there adverts in the back of certain magazine?

You are obviously confusing "small pond syndrome" with big pond envy", a rookie mistake imho.

• Like 1

My little pond was just dug into the clay. It filled up in about 5 months (and it's up to 15 foot deep!) but then almost completely drained again over the next 6 months. With all the sediment that was suspended once the rains came again, it sealed itself and has been full now for 15 months, only dropping a few inches over the Summer (do you remember when it wasn't bloody raining?). The line on the island, by the way, is a woven willow fedge.

org_ee50f1141dc0f51a_1581004594000.thumb.jpg.697e150d11aca62e514b5771243ad51d.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, spandit said:

My little pond was just dug into the clay. It filled up in about 5 months (and it's up to 15 foot deep!) but then almost completely drained again over the next 6 months. With all the sediment that was suspended once the rains came again, it sealed itself and has been full now for 15 months, only dropping a few inches over the Summer (do you remember when it wasn't bloody raining?). The line on the island, by the way, is a woven willow fedge.

org_ee50f1141dc0f51a_1581004594000.thumb.jpg.697e150d11aca62e514b5771243ad51d.jpg

Very nice. What's the wildlife activity like with your new pond?

On 05/03/2020 at 21:38, Matthew Storrs said:

I’ve dug these few small ponds recently with a 3 tonner- it did it ok- there were some pretty massive boulder which I used to shore up the sides as they were tending to migrate into the water. One of them was filling up quicker than I could dig it! 

51580791-984F-45A5-A4D1-5ECD42E5B5B0.jpeg

6BE7784E-7522-476D-B57C-DBEB6709FC21.jpeg

BDB3496C-73A2-45E4-A0E0-8ADFE2371F3F.jpeg

45A8FE57-D4C5-4EE0-8D15-0A403E614D3F.jpeg 

the last pic of the pond has sine been extended out laterally to make it less doughnut shaped.

Very  nice pond there mate.