Funding my first chipper

wjotner

Gold price for the gm130, but its going to cost you a lot more in fuel over the years than the equivelent diesel counterpart
True about the fuel cost, however the 160 and probably the green mech equivalent weigh just over 600kg which means two of us push it around easily and into gardens to chip in-situ which is great at times.

Maybe not the way green politics are swinging.

Diesel certainly will become 'tres cher' whilst petrol may become advantageous in price and technology make smaller engines more efficient like the newer fuel injected Vanguards over the same model using a carb. A 25%-33% improvement I read.

Ty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Maybe not the way green politics are swinging.

Diesel certainly will become 'tres cher' whilst petrol may become advantageous in price and technology make smaller engines more efficient like the newer fuel injected Vanguards over the same model using a carb. A 25%-33% improvement I read.

Ty

Red diesel 60p litre, petrol, £1.30. You do the maths!

In the future diesel will become more expensive as will the engines themselves.

The current Vanguard 37hp petrol was shown in a demo by Forst which they posted on their FB page to have much the same fuel consumption as an equivalent hp diesel. Given the difference in purchase price between the 2 power plants, the higher fuel running costs are offset by the lower purchase price. There is a cross over after around 1200 hours but by then many would be looking at replacing their machine.

Ty

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

There is a cross over after around 1200 hours but by then many would be looking at replacing their machine.

Future predictions on fuel types / prices and emissions zones are a very real issue.  I like the thinking / analysis behind the comparisons and no doubt, like vehicle fleet management, these will be valid considerations for the big boys with lots of machinery doing lots of hours.  But even I don't have the time to do the micro-maths attached to 1-2 chippers working a fairly easy routine.  The margins must be tiny.  Maybe the manufacturers will start competing on these criteria in the future and publish their data so as to prevent us all having to scratch our heads....