Transit timing chain

eggsarascal

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Anyone changed one? It's something I've never thought about until my mates timing chain 'slipped', seems it's left the engine fubar. As this happened to anyone else?

Never needed to change one on a transit but it's straightforward on most engines as long as you note the timing marks and/or lock the gears from moving. The tensioning is usually a matter of releasing a bolt on a idle pulley which is spring loaded, the spring sets the tension and then you tighten the bolt again.

We did have one snap at 100k miles (we think the driver was joining the motorway flat out in 4th and slipped it into 3rd instead of 5th). Once the chain isn't controlling the valves some of them are open and get smacked by the pistons. Parts for the repair exceed the cost of a new engine from Ford (£2000 a couple of years ago) even though there was no distinguishable bore or bearing wear.

I run a 2002 MK6 Transit (2.4DI) and last December my mechanic and I replaced the timing chain kit which included all the sprockets, guides and the tensioner.  It was a big enough job to do.  I felt the need to do this as i incorrectly assumed the timing was slightly out, plus i had no service history with the van.  There are at least 2 different types of cam chain tensioner and i wanted to ensure i was fitting the one deemed to be the better. I bought a service kit which locked the timing in position, this made it easier upon reassembly as you can check and double check it's spot on before start up.  It quietened my engine down a bit.

• Like 1

I have done a few e6G, not too bad a job if you take the front of the van off first , its only a mornings work if you dont fanny about. As Ken says its worth buying the pin kits, timing covers are bonded on and you need to take care not to muller it taking it off or you will be buying a new one, I run a blow torch around the outer edge which helps. If you dont do it you will be looking at something like the one below at some point  :laugh1:

Bob

One that shit itself a few years ago

image.jpg3_zpsr0vytagr.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

I have done a few e6G, not too bad a job if you take the front of the van off first , its only a mornings work if you dont fanny about. As Ken says its worth buying the pin kits, timing covers are bonded on and you need to take care not to muller it taking it off or you will be buying a new one, I run a blow torch around the outer edge which helps. If you dont do it you will be looking at something like the one below at some point  :laugh1:

Bob

One that shit itself a few years ago

image.jpg3_zpsr0vytagr.jpg

Easier on the 2.4 Bob eggs will be a 2.0 or 2.2 in a normal van so engine the other way = ball ache!

i did mine a few years back on my transit tipper and just whipped front end off like you say

26 minutes ago, swinny said:

Easier on the 2.4 Bob eggs will be a 2.0 or 2.2 in a normal van so engine the other way = ball ache!

i did mine a few years back on my transit tipper and just whipped front end off like you say

You're right swinny, it is a 2.0l. I think there's enough of us on here that run Transits, and very few people saying they've had a problem with the timing chain.I'll not fix what isn't broken.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

Iirc lack of oil changing causes the problem down to low oil pressure from old oil resulting in in the hydraulic chain tensioner not doing its job properly.

correct,  along with either the incorrect type of engine oil or trying to bump start them!