Do I need permission to close a by road?

Valeman

Best crazy bureaucracy I ever saw was a few years ago near me in Newport, a really busy two lane through road had a three way set of traffic lights installed for several days because of a hole dug in the pavement.  The only obstruction on the road was a small pile of earth and rubble which stuck out from the kerb into the road by about 3 feet.  In front of this pile and behind it were perfectly legally parked cars, which stuck out into the road much more than three feet of course.  

Some dimwit had decided that this small mound of waste justified a complicated set of traffic lights, even though it caused absolutely no obstruction at all.  The traffic lights on the other hand caused heaps of problems, and delayed me by about ten minutes and no doubt thousands of other people as well.

We should start a thread about crazy bureaucracy if there isn't one.  I have a feeling it would be very popular....!

Arranging road closures or acquiring permits etc could so easily be set up on a system similar to the planning portal. You enter the job, your TM plan, it is sent to the LA, a bod is sent to check your plan and deem if it is suitable or not. Then they have eight weeks or so to respond similar to a TPO. One system fits all, a bit like communism! 

You should be able to get an emergency closure to get the job done.
Failing that just borrow a couple of tanks should did the job.
Apparently a emergency closure only applies if there is a actual obstruction, hazard or reason to prohibited the safe passage of vehicles and a tree that could fail isn't one of these according the hw office.

On 10/05/2018 at 22:46, drinksloe said:

Are u not allowed to block a road for 20mins at a time?

The wagon delivery driver for a local building suppliers told me that years ago, as they will regularly block roads when hiabing loads into houses.

I think it's a lot less than that 2-3 minutes at most, at a time. ( depending on the road - dual carriageways probably entirely different!)

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

My missus went up with a spanner and turned the signs round so they were facing the correct way!

I'm sure that somewhere in the Highways act it's illegal to interfere with a road sign. 

She's going to be somewhat peeved when 'the man' reads your admission of guilt on a public forum and she gets nicked   9_9 

18 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

I'm sure that somewhere in the Highways act it's illegal to interfere with a road sign. 

She's going to be somewhat peeved when 'the man' reads your admission of guilt on a public forum and she gets nicked   9_9 

She had a Hi-viz jacket on, silly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2