Check a Trade

Nathanzac

Well maybe more than ears.

Question: Regarding your assertion that the amount of pages will not affect the price.

Surely every page has to be ‘done’ meaning pictures and text pasted or whatever the term is?

So a 5 page website will take more work than a 3 page one, so why wouldn’t it be more expensive?

I know very little so I’m not arguing just curious how it works.

• Like 1

A 5 year old could understand that a 20 page website is more work than a 5 page website. Anyway I don’t have time to try and explain it to you at the moment, currently in the middle of a 30 page build. It’s taken me much longer than the 8 page site I recently completely….can’t understand it!? All I have to do is copy the template over, not like I have to design every single page over and over! 
Oh, I suppose I do have to add fresh content to every page..copy and paste in this instance but I still have to proof read it, source images, resize and optimise them, carry out on page seo, internal linking, oh and of course slightly more thought into the menu set up as theres so many pages.

if only I’d have done my homework on the amount of pages required before starting it! 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Just because you don't understand it, that doesn't mean it's bollocks. Sit back and see where this thread goes; you will learn something. 

Well I have just learned how Steve does it . Perhaps you could give him some tips ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Well maybe more than ears.

Question: Regarding your assertion that the amount of pages will not affect the price.

Surely every page has to be ‘done’ meaning pictures and text pasted or whatever the term is?

So a 5 page website will take more work than a 3 page one, so why wouldn’t it be more expensive?

I know very little so I’m not arguing just curious how it works.

Course it’s more work mick. Some developers would try and charge stupid prices like £200 per page, which yes is a rip off. Generally a page that is copy and paste will be done in 30-60 minutes depending on how much work. If the content has to be written from scratch then of course it will take longer. 

then of course if the client wants to make edits at the final stage then you’re looking at potentially more pages to go through a second time.

not rocket science 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

It's a bit like someone asking for a quote for a tree removal, and the arb asking the client what chainsaw they would like to be used. 

Senseless analogy.

it’s more like a tree surgeon quoting to remove 5 trees then on the day the client adding an extra 5 on and expecting the same price. Perhaps this is how you used to run your tree surgery business though? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

A 5 year old could understand that a 20 page website is more work than a 5 page website. 

I assume RT thinks the designer should be left to work out the number of pages and the overall design. The client wouldn't know so you can't agree on a cost per page. After all, you could put all the content of your 20 pages onto a single page but that wouldn't be much less work and wouldn't be a great site.

Just now, Paul in the woods said:

I assume RT thinks the designer should be left to work out the number of pages and the overall design. The client wouldn't know so you can't agree on a cost per page. After all, you could put all the content of your 20 pages onto a single page but that wouldn't be much less work and wouldn't be a great site.

I think a client generally has at least an idea of how many different services they offer. Whilst some can be linked together in a single page, it doesn’t make sense for different types of services, as you have pointed out 

19 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Course it’s more work mick. Some developers would try and charge stupid prices like £200 per page, which yes is a rip off. Generally a page that is copy and paste will be done in 30-60 minutes depending on how much work. If the content has to be written from scratch then of course it will take longer. 

then of course if the client wants to make edits at the final stage then you’re looking at potentially more pages to go through a second time.

not rocket science 

According to Steve’s metrics I’m at least as smart as a 5 year old, so it’s all good.

• Like 1