NPTC chipper opporations Weekend course ??

Littletree

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have employees you need to tick all the boxes, if its your firm and your doing the cutting, felling or what ever, I don't think you need to worry too much.

We have upto 22 at the peak, subbies, and perm workers, so we need to do things right, + alot of our work is L/A, Civil Engineers and the 'bigger' builders

I have stayed out of this debate i question for you john

i am nptc chipper qualed and get at least 3 new chippers every 5 yrs and have documented training handovers that take about an hour

am i still hse compliant

if i was lanta would i be

or if i had no lantra or nptc where would i stand

p,s i only wonder what your view is

i actually know the answer

I have stayed out of this debate i question for you john

i am nptc chipper qualed and get at least 3 new chippers every 5 yrs and have documented training handovers that take about an hour

am i still hse compliant

if i was lanta would i be

or if i had no lantra or nptc where would i stand

p,s i only wonder what your view is

i actually know the answer

from what i've been told, the minimum that you need is to be given some baisc training by the manufacture and to make sure that is is recorded and signed by the manufacturers member of staff and all employees that have recieved the training, as a record to prove the training happened :001_smile:

My tuppence worth...

A couple of years ago the bloke I sub for was pitching for a big contract that stipulated all workers would need NPTC chipper ticket.

After a bit of 'teaching Granny how to suck eggs' type grumbling, we all did the one day course, and were assesed the following day (30 mins each?).

It was a bit of an eye-opener in some respects, and well worth doing.

Just because you've been doing something for years doesn't mean you've been doing it right for years!

The 'hand over' manufacturers 'training' is not hse compliant, I know Lantra and NPTC both are as I have recently had meetings with a HSE inspector, so I know this is certainly his oppinion too. After a recent accident where an operative lost his arm I did some training and 'quote' we have just had training, what the f**k are we wasting our time here for, it took the fire brigade and the companys fitters nearly an hour to free the lad, I showed them how to do it in under a minute, how now to get 'whipped' etc, what can you learn in an hour?............The lads came after the course and admitted that it was very worthwhile doing the course. If you check out the AFAG guide 805, 'training required, but not certificate of competance'......Recognised training and NPTC certification IS available -- not required