Silky cut protection?

Mikyb

14 hours ago, Cheesy pete said:

the best protection is concentration 

Do use the same logic with a seatbelt while driving; if you concentrate hard enough, that guy wont pull out in front of you at 60mph? etc.

Lets not wear chainsaw trousers because we can avoid ACCIDENTS by concentrating.

I didn't start this post to get dick comments, but it was expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mikyb said:

Do use the same logic with a seatbelt while driving; if you concentrate hard enough, that guy wont pull out in front of you at 60mph? etc.

Lets not wear chainsaw trousers because we can avoid ACCIDENTS by concentrating.

I didn't start this post to get dick comments, but it was expected.

lol i was being serious !

I have cut myself with a silky a couple of times nothing anywhere near as serious  as you and i find if a concentrate on what i'm doing it doesn't happen ! not had an issue with one for a good number of year now but i know as soon as i get complacent because it's just a hand saw i'll get another one 

as to driving yeap and chainsaw use yeap concentrating what i'm doing ! that doesn't mean something can never happen but that concentrating on safe use  limits the issues  . we will all be guilt from time to time of not concentrating properly that's where a seat belt and chainsaw pants can give us a get out of jail card but will never replace, in my book concentrating on what your doing .

I apologise for the way my post came across but as you can see many others agreed with my post 

Edited by Cheesy pete

On Thursday I was cutting a tree stake back with my Silky Sugoi 420. I still don't quite know how, it happened so quickly, but it snagged, jumped out and struck my left index finger on the pull stroke. 12 hours in hospital over the two days and 2 hours in surgery, they managed to stitch my tendon back together and sew me back up.
I now have to have 6-8 weeks off work while my tendon heals, not to mention physio therapy every week.

At the time I had gloves on, the thick winter woven ones with the nitrile coating on them, the silky went through them like butter.
I know my choice of tools probably wasn't the greatest but was all I had, that wasn't a chainsaw at the time.

I'm sure this topic has probably been done to death, but a quick search didn't bring up much, but I'd also like to start a new thread to remind people how quickly things can go wrong when you least expect it. I could have quite easily cut my finger clean off and like many of you out there, being self employed, it isn't convenient to have time off work.

My question is; what would be the best gloves to wear to stop/minimise/reduce the damage of a silky stroke.

I'm not so sure that a leather glove would have offered much protection, although it would stop "gentle" cuts and would be better than nothing.
Ideally something like a motorbike glove with plastic or fiberglass armored parts would be best, but a toss up between protection and dexterity!

Please be careful with those hand saws!!

Well done for raising this issue Mike. It's something that always concerns me. Silkys are bloody scary when they go wrong, the potential consequences make me shudder to think of.

A quick Google search for cut-proof or meat cutting gloves brings up a multitude of options, ranging from a very affordable £2 right up to £100+ for full on S.S. chainmail! Does anyone have any experience of any of these? It seems to me that they either need to be thin enough to wear under normal work/climbing gloves or tough enough, grippy enough and hard-wearing enough to replace normal gloves worn for climbing tree work. (Buggered if anyone would be bothered to put them on specially every time they used the silky). I would only wear one on the non-saw-holding hand anyway. Left in my case.

Silky,s  don't  take  prisoners .  I've been bit many a time .  I  also use a  Leather glove only on the holding hand  but often I forget ? 

Mind you the buggers still  get ya .

Heal Quick .

My latest Japanese secateurs took a large piece of my finger last year . Not paying attention .

Had a couple of silky bites,thankfully nothing serious but i have lost a lanyard or two due to over exuberant cutting with a silky-also had to cut the eye off  my short rope due too a silky related accident with a hand held section that turned out not to be hand held as i watched it freefall toward some guttering....

Dont think theres any protective gloves that are fit for purpose eithet.

Just take a new blade out of its packet and give your self a light tap across a finger or 2 with it before fitting it, once they have had blood there happy if you fail to do this you might as well book a spot in for stitches before you start.

we have all done it just take care, they cut flesh as quick as a chain and rope quicker.

They are like animals you should always watch out for the quite ones 

• Like 1