Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

On 4 January 2018 at 20:02, forestboy1978 said:

I am a self teacher.

Read these 3 and you'll be streets ahead of 'We'll beat any quote' before you even start!

BS 3998:2010 - (rogue copes available online (apparently) or buy one or get someone to send you a copy)

The Tree Climber's Companion ISBN 0-615-11290-0

The Art & Science of Practical Rigging ISBN 1-887956-28-8

• Like 2

ForestBoy , I would go for a chipper but not a tracked one - much pricer and best to hire a big one in for yr future big trees .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entec-CH125-20-Chipper-Timberwolf-Woodchipper-New-Stress-Control-New-Engine/112730683697?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3Db91a015b36f44cc2af4aa577b60779d0%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D122881193704&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

these lil chippers are better made and as they are at the bottom of the arb sales market often go for a affordable price . It can fill my Landrover tipper in an hour an they have very little to go wrong with BUT demand sharp knifes for effective chipping ( buy two extra sets ) K

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Khriss said:

ForestBoy , I would go for a chipper but not a tracked one - much pricer and best to hire a big one in for yr future big trees .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entec-CH125-20-Chipper-Timberwolf-Woodchipper-New-Stress-Control-New-Engine/112730683697?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3Db91a015b36f44cc2af4aa577b60779d0%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D122881193704&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

these lil chippers are better made and as they are at the bottom of the arb sales market often go for a affordable price . It can fill my Landrover tipper in an hour an they have very little to go wrong with BUT demand sharp knifes for effective chipping ( buy two extra sets ) K

Ta mate. I'm bearing all this in mind. That chipper you linked needs work but if I could get similar for 2k it might be what I need as to begin with I need to be careful with spending. 

Don't think it'll go in the van but I have a manual winch that I have been meaning to fit to the trailer for a while. It would be doable. 

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Read these 3 and you'll be streets ahead of 'We'll beat any quote' before you even start!

BS 3998:2010 - (rogue copes available online (apparently) or buy one or get someone to send you a copy)

The Tree Climber's Companion ISBN 0-615-11290-0

The Art & Science of Practical Rigging ISBN 1-887956-28-8

I need to get back into reading. I used to read every day for years but last few years I've lost the desire or patience for some reason. 

With that Trailer and Van you are two thirds towards having all the plant you need.The last third is a tracked chipper.

You will not be as productive as any tow behind or tracked machine with a "mini chipper"

They will not process brash faster than you can get it to it.This is where a bottle neck will form on the job,this is where you will start to loose money.This will happen on every job you will need your tickets for.

When you start out,you will end up getting jobs for people who have had every other sod in for a quote.You will underprice more than you get right and with a mini chipper you will just make a hard job harder,I know money is tight but if you have  £2K to buy a mini chipper you might be able to finance a new tracked machine,This will destroy the brush,give you no hassel and "buffer" the effects of the under quotes you,I and everyone else does when they start and sometimes after.

You are going to hire in Climbers to help at the start,and you will be marooned on an island of Branches frantically trying to force a machine to do what it was never intended to do,

Starting out against other firms,without comparable or superior kit is just "a hiding to knowhere" .

• Like 3

Got it! 

I mean hmmm, I guess 2 days hire on the chipper would pay finance on 10k over 5 years for that month...

I may be able to do it cos I was planning on paying deposit to do the April course but it's not gonna happen so August it is, giving me more time to save some money and/ or pay off existing finance.

Cheers

Edited by forestboy1978

£10 will get you a very tidy tracked machine.

Some Jensen 530T's have a removable hopper,when thats off the machine is less than the length of 1,5 Wheely bins and 110cm wide with the tracks in.I have taken mine down flights of steps,around an indoor swimming pool and out the glass doors into a Garden.

• Like 1