Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

...then did a lot of bar-nose digging - I said ' Are you landscaping with that saw ?? Or what ?? ' at the end of the day he was pretty good at sharpening chains :P K

Well I have only had to sharpen my chain once this week so I'm not that bad. Processed about 20 trees I would guess. Got sharpening down, finally also

• Like 1

I would LOVE a unimog :-)

Did the mog thing. Was great for a couple of years but then the maintenance costs start to kick in. (Lots of downtime can really hurt your income)
If you don’t have a local mechanic to be able to do the work quickly and efficiently, the costs start to rocket.

3.5t tipper with 6” tow behinds are what 80% of domestic Arb firms use, for a reason. But... they are very limited weight wise.

6.5t crew cab tipper and 750kg 6” chipper is about as versatile and about as good as it gets for domestic arb. Imo. (Personally)

You will find what works best for your line of work soon enough. Big outlay on a tracked chipper, if it’s not quite what you need. (Slower to sell as well if you change your mind).

• Like 1

Well, slept like a log last night. First good nights kip all week. Night and day in how I felt. Assessment was a breeze, mind was clear, no errors at all. Thank god for that.

edit.. my bore cut in the dogs tooth tooth went at a funny angle and came out low on one side so I ummed and aaghed and then just bored it again which was apparently acceptable. 

Edited by forestboy1978
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TIMON said:

Did the mog thing. Was great for a couple of years but then the maintenance costs start to kick in. (Lots of downtime can really hurt your income)
If you don’t have a local mechanic to be able to do the work quickly and efficiently, the costs start to rocket.

3.5t tipper with 6” tow behinds are what 80% of domestic Arb firms use, for a reason. But... they are very limited weight wise.

6.5t crew cab tipper and 750kg 6” chipper is about as versatile and about as good as it gets for domestic arb. Imo. (Personally)

You will find what works best for your line of work soon enough. Big outlay on a tracked chipper, if it’s not quite what you need. (Slower to sell as well if you change your mind).

I distinctly remember questioning you on the mog thing when you were posting pictures.

Iirc you were evangelical about it, dismissing all my negativity etc.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 2

I distinctly remember questioning you on the mog thing when you were posting pictures.

Iirc you were evangelical about it, dismissing all my negativity etc.

And it was a positive experience for us, at the time. The way we were set up suited the mog. Things change though. We had personnel changes and our fleet mechanic moved on which meant we would have to stick it on a low loader each time it needed any significant work doing to it which is a game changer.

I still think that an urban mog can be a great tool for domestic Arb, it all comes down to the type of work you are getting and how you can keep it maintained.

Well, slept like a log last night. First good nights kip all week. Night and day in how I felt. Assessment was a breeze, mind was clear, no errors at all. Thank god for that.

edit.. my bore cut in the dogs tooth tooth went at a funny angle and came out low on one side so I ummed and aaghed and then just bored it again which was apparently acceptable. 

Woohoo!!!
You passed!
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji3]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Woohoo!!!
You passed!
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji3.png

Lol, well I get the impression you have to be a total numpty to fail so I kinda accepted that if I was that numptyish to fail this, I wouldn't be going any further in this profession...

So yeah good news. climbing and aerial rescue next;-)

• Like 4