Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

I use a few people now as and when. As rarely as possible to avoid VAT. 

The guys I work with have some experience from working for a friend of theirs who is a tree surgeon but not self employed. He just runs the odd job on weekends. He's exceptionally good though and is the top tree surgeon for a very large outfit in our area. Tiny slip of a guy. I will probably pay him once in a while to help me out and learn what I can as though we haven't met, they are all old school friends and he's said he'd be happy to work for me. We'll see how it goes.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

As you are 40 with a business to run it will probably be a waste of money as you will not push urself like someone who is trying to feed themselves, but I think you should do it with the intention of gaining a greater understanding of the industry.

Thereafter you can take on tree jobs (which you will probably under price)employ subbie climbers and have a better understanding of the job!

This being said I do get a lot of jobs where they want Fencing, landscaping and tree works which you might now feel confident to take on!

Happy new year

That's exactly the plan actually. And yeah I do get those, tree, fence and hedge jobs come along. A LOT. I'm currently average 9.9 on checkatrade with 121 reviews and some tree work in there. 2/3 of my reviews have before, during and after photos too with the dog or my vehicle in them etc cos I'm just think a lot of people on there are BSing. 

So yeah I'll definitely get calls. I don't advertise apart from Checkatrade now and I work all year.

Happy new year to you

Edited by forestboy1978

You will definately benefit from yr expert friend - and as you pick technique up , it should be a money earner in time - fr you . However I found a good 18 months went past after passing my tickets before It was second- knowledge K

I'm in the same boat really, v experienced with ground removals, worked on a handful of trees with rope and harness. Going for the C38/39 course in a couple of weeks. Way I look at it, even if the cert only gets me a a couple of decent weeks climbing work over the next few years, it's paid for itself, minus the time investment, obviously. And the gear. And maybe saved my bacon too, as I anticipate learning a few things from a very experienced trainer that I simply can't gain from youtube vids. I think the key thing for you is you already have a big chipper, which is a huge roadblock for a lot of guys starting out and could make or break a young company. There is something to be said for sticking with one trade and mastering it, but not everyone is built that way, some people crave variety in their work. If you're anything like me, you'll derive more enjoyment from the fasttrack course more than a three week holiday in the sun! 

8 minutes ago, Khriss said:

You will definately benefit from yr expert friend - and as you pick technique up , it should be a money earner in time - fr you . However I found a good 18 months went past after passing my tickets before It was second- knowledge K

yeah. Multiple people have told me he's like a squirrel with a chainsaw. Apparently have can fully dismantle a 40 ft tree in a matter of hours, literally half a day or less. 

7 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I'm in the same boat really, v experienced with ground removals, worked on a handful of trees with rope and harness. Going for the C38/39 course in a couple of weeks. Way I look at it, even if the cert only gets me a a couple of decent weeks climbing work over the next few years, it's paid for itself, minus the time investment, obviously. And the gear. And maybe saved my bacon too, as I anticipate learning a few things from a very experienced trainer that I simply can't gain from youtube vids. I think the key thing for you is you already have a big chipper, which is a huge roadblock for a lot of guys starting out and could make or break a young company. There is something to be said for sticking with one trade and mastering it, but not everyone is built that way, some people crave variety in their work. If you're anything like me, you'll derive more enjoyment from the fasttrack course more than a three week holiday in the sun! 

Unfortunately I don't have a chipper mate. That and a top handled saw and rigging is about the only thing I don't have. I would also need to convert the cage on my trailer for chip perhaps. It's not gonna be cheap. 

• Like 1

The what?? lol

I'm semi logistically screwed as I have a bad ass trailer and great Van but that's not much good for a chipper vehicle combo. I'm considering the possibility of winching a chipper into the van but it's tight!

I've got about 12 ft length in space by 4 ft width by 6 ft height....

If it can be done I can take 2.5 tons n the van...

Care to enlighten me?