Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

52 ?

I had and loads of things going on for ages, i thought the time was right.  Yes Chiansaw in a tree Tuesday till Friday and Tuesday following wk and assessment Wednesday.

i can say it’s not nice wearing c class ppe in this heat, but at least the trees are not wet ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Wonky said:

52 ?

I had and loads of things going on for ages, i thought the time was right.  Yes Chiansaw in a tree Tuesday till Friday and Tuesday following wk and assessment Wednesday.

i can say it’s not nice wearing c class ppe in this heat, but at least the trees are not wet ?

How did you find it. I found climbing easy ish. Trusting equipment not so much. Nots are not great. Shit visual memory but I got there... Lot to learn. A LOT!!!!!

I found the tests the most difficult, It made my head  go dizzy. But I,m not a person that likes tests.

i trusted the equipment, as I’ve done paragliding before,  there was only 7 or 8 knots to learn. I found that keep doing the same knot x20 worked,then the next day doing it 

the climbing was challenging, at times having to hang up side down with a leg up in the right direction, so I could pull myself up and get the leg over the branch. And that was without c class trousers 

and the muscles aching thing,  that needed lots of beer to sooth them?

so now this week it will be climbing with c class trousers, some crown lifting on some oaks from what I understand.

heres a pic up the oak tree, and also some trees were more difficult. 

1FDD87D8-B730-40F1-AF65-56D2D5A3CB77.jpeg

• Like 3

re your earlier question, can't really see port and climbing being good combination however big the tree.
Sensible suggestions though would be buy 3m friction cord, 3m climbing line and one biner asap, so you can keep practicing the knots otherwise in a few weeks you forget. Other really good advice on my course was go to the APF show in September and spend some time hanging in all the different harnesses before buying one, they set up small scaffolds for this purpose.

• Like 1

Bloody well done mate. 

What made you go for this in your 50s?

I've known Wonky for several years as a good friend.
I can tell you he's f*****g hardcore.
I'm 42 and about to start climbing.
Wonky is ten years my senior and he passed.
Role model!!!!
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji12]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Man i don't want to tempt fate but I really love this. I don't want to die of course but I love it. I'm so glad I pulled the trigger. getting unlucky and dying happy is better than living a long humdrum existence in my humble opinion. 

S’funny you should say that. Back in ‘95 when i was doing my course I remember balking at around 20ft when my brain realised that I would die if I fell.

The next morning, cycling to college, I said to myself I’d rather die falling out of a tree than push a barrow up a plank for the rest of my life (my job at the time) so that morning I broke through and got up there.

Mind you I have fallen out of a few trees since then, still alive though!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

S’funny you should say that. Back in ‘95 when i was doing my course I remember balking at around 20ft when my brain realised that I would die if I fell.

The next morning, cycling to college, I said to myself I’d rather die falling out of a tree than push a barrow up a plank for the rest of my life (my job at the time) so that morning I broke through and got up there.

Mind you I have fallen out of a few trees since then, still alive though!

20ft doesn't kill you. Breaks bones etc, depending on how you fall but if you don't land on your head 20ft is not high enough unless you get unlucky.

Fell 25ft and landed on feet and blew out l2 but I'm still here. I'd guess 30ft is the 99.9% death zone