Another 40 year old just starting

forestboy1978

4 minutes ago, essential said:

Let's face it , why would any firm want to hire in someone with a truck/chipper..unless totally inundated with work.....as any established company will have their own plant ...good luck ..but this is how our industry is allways being devalued by people who think they can buy a truck /chipper pay for some tickets and think that's it they're tree surgeon

No need to be a dick really is there!

I frankly don't think I'm a tree surgeon. Far from it. I'm awed by the profession I'm moving into and take it very seriously. I've never considered myself really good at anything prior to at least 5 years of doing it almost continuously so I'll be an old man if I'm EVER good at this. 

And I don't really care what I earn as long as I learn. I just am trying to figure out values of things. 

Get over yourself!

I just wanted to add...

I aim for greatness in everything. I treat every action like a Japanese sword maker. Not for ego or pride but in an aim for clarity and perfection of thought. Everything I ever do I do to the best of my ability and this is the first time in my life I've ever embarked on anything with a knowledge that I'll never be great. I'll aim for it as always but realistically I'll never be great. Probably one day I'll know a lot about trees and I'll be better than average climber, maybe. 

I fully appreciate what this discipline is! 

If you have all the machines why not get a subbie climber in to do jobs for you. You initially groundie and gradually reverse roles, but the climber will be there to keep you right. Sure there is guys on here who are after subbie work.

1 minute ago, jfc said:

If you have all the machines why not get a subbie climber in to do jobs for you. You initially groundie and gradually reverse roles, but the climber will be there to keep you right. Sure there is guys on here who are after subbie work.

3 of the guys who work for me are all school friends. Their friend is the top climber for a massive tree company near me and I met him for the first time the other day and it was an encounter of what I felt was mutual respect. He will subbie for me and offered to climb with me when we get free time to show me some pointers. But he works full time so it means on his holiday or weekends. I do quotes weekends and try and have some kind of life... 

Don't really know how to work it. 

Also I don't have all the machines, far from it. Just some, and have put a deposit on a jo beau m500. 

Just now, essential said:

What unlucky clients!!

Why are they unlucky if they are happy to pay the quoted price and you do the job they required? Most of the time it'll be underestimated also, as it always is, without knowledge.

You just don't like the idea of someone coming into an industry you have been in your whole life and possibly pulling it off. It doesn't devalue your achievements in life if I make a success of this...

If someone is willing to start a company and under quotes me to build a portfolio and client base it doesn't annoy me if they're paying tax and insurance. It's fair play. It's capitalism. 

You have a massive chip on your shoulder!

• Like 1