Brit Girls - Fat

matelot

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Its a Phew of I can just about understand it as I read it but would have no way of explaining it credibly to someone else . I  "think" my brain is windows 98 :( . I get the " in the zone " thing re snow boarding . I used to do a bit of motorcycle racing and the  zone feeling was when you were sorta looking 2 corners ahead , your peripheral   vision was computing on its own , you felt slow and smooth and actually put in your best lap ever .

windows 98? As new as that?  I've alway though of you as more Commodore 64 :P

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Is free will free?...  On some levels the brain might work on auto pilot, but it also has a lot to do with environment.. 

IE, sure, your, brain might make choices pre determined for itself, but its the environment that shapes your choices...   

In that respect your free will is a slave to the environment..

If its raining out, you get a coat on..  you don't chose a coat if its sunny..  

If a man kills his cheating wife, as much as environment pushed him in that direction, he still choose to kill his wife.. he had an option to not kill his wife..   He/his brain had a choice.

the killers actions should not be judged on how the environment shaped his action, but on his crime...   

In the real world, it doesn't matter if your choices in life are predetermined or not, what counts is bringing your choices to account...

Not killing his wife was a potential option when thought about it from a distance. The brain can weigh options like this up if the conditions (brain chemistry, environment) are conducive. The mistake is to assume that in the moment the man could have done anyting other than what his brain directed. He has no control to stop, in much the same way that he can't voluntarily stop his heart from beating. 

His brain didn't direct him in a way that we deem conducive to human flourishing. With different (non authored) inputs (including his own thoughts) in his life, right up to the moment before the killing the result may well have been different.

The key point is that we don't control the inputs to our brains. We don't produce the thing that causes us to act. The immensely strong feeling that there is an 'us' that could have done differently is literally just a feeling. 

Your post is certainly half right. The environment is one of the biggest factors dictating behaviour, along with our genetics.

I don't think it's quite true to say that choices should be brought to account. We do make choices but they are not under our control. The experience that they are is a very, very strong illusion.

The consequences of actions need to be dealt with. The killer is evidently dangerous, but I am not at all sure that he should be thought of as evil. Both he and his wife were unlucky.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

So the thought of robots achieving 'self awareness' 

good thing or bad thing? I.e. Is it better they do or don't.

Potentially good, certainly a mind blowing concept, but also potentially very bad indeed. We need to proceed with extreme caution. Fat chance!

It's interesting to think of our own predicament in terms of this subject. Is it on balance good or bad that humans achieved our level of self awareness? Not as clear cut an answer as it first seems!

14 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Not killing his wife was a potential option when thought about it from a distance. The brain can weigh options like this up if the conditions (brain chemistry, environment) are conducive. The mistake is to assume that in the moment the man could have done anyting other than what his brain directed. He has no control to stop, in much the same way that he can't voluntarily stop his heart from beating. 

His brain didn't direct him in a way that we deem conducive to human flourishing. With different (non authored) inputs (including his own thoughts) in his life, right up to the moment before the killing the result may well have been different.

The key point is that we don't control the inputs to our brains. We don't produce the thing that causes us to act. The immensely strong feeling that there is an 'us' that could have done differently is literally just a feeling. 

Your post is certainly half right. The environment is one of the biggest factors dictating behaviour, along with our genetics.

I don't think it's quite true to say that choices should be brought to account. We do make choices but they are not under our control. The experience that they are is a very, very strong illusion.

The consequences of actions need to be dealt with. The killer is evidently dangerous, but I am not at all sure that he should be thought of as evil. Both he and his wife were unlucky.

Bit of head scratchier this subject..

Seems to me the environment forces people down lanes of travel, but the individual can choose which road to turn off on.. or is it that a person thinks he freely took road A, but unbeknownst to him the environment incrementally forced him down that road?...

I've have to ruminate on this an get back later..  I'll have an answer before the days out...