Brit Girls - Fat

matelot

7 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I think the closest I get to that is tree work. Objective. That's all.

Maybe smokes and coffee are on my list too, but then I really didn't make a conscious decision to do either, did I?

No reason why tree work wouldn't do it. If you are sufficiently focussed on your work so that your subconcious takes the reigns and your actions in retrospect seemed mentally effortless then you have lost yourSelf.

The moment you think about what you are doing you are literally Self concious again.

36 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

That's very cool. You have experienced the feeling of being free of the illusion of self, and perhaps you can appreciate how hard it is to put that feeling into words in a way that makes any kind of sense.

That experience is available to all. It is cunningly hidden right at the surface. You just have to get out of your own way to get there! Unfortunately this is not as easy as it should be.

Bloody right it’s not mate, not since the kids appeared!

One day I will ride the white plains of truth again!

And there’s not many gunts on display in the Alps....?

• Like 1

OK folks, I'll leave you with this thought. It is quite a useful way to wrap your mind around what I perceive to be the reality.

Your brain is exactly analogous to a computer. We all experience the world as a concious experience slightly differently because we are all running a slightly different operating system. Lets say mine is Windows version 5326 at this present moment (our brains are fantastically powerful computers)

The precise nature of the operating system in any given moment dictates the output of the computer. The operating system is constantly downloading new software, but in any given moment the operating system (your brain) is only able to produce outputs (your thoughts and actions) that the operating system is capable of.

Just like a computer, your brain is a slave to it's software. A computer produces images on your screen, giving the illusion that it has mulled things over and presented it's findings. The truth, as we all know, is that the exact images on the screen are all that could have possibly arisen given the state of the software at the time. Our brains, and the thoughts that arise in our minds function in exactly the same way. If your computer gets a virus it changes the output of the operating system, just like Charles Whitman's brain tumour.

Our operating system is constantly putting out computations. It controls our breathing, our heart rates, our movements our thoughts, our emotions and everything else. All of these outputs are automatic, emerging from the exact state of the operating system in any given moment and environment. The illusion that we are willing any of these outputs into existence is just that, an illusion. There is no 'us' in the driving seat. 

The human operating system is so advanced that it is able, automatically, to develop a perceived sense of self. This is a quirk of our operating system which has been naturally selected for as it was very useful for helping us survive in the world. Other animals have some sense of self too, but in general it tends to decrease with brain size.

We act in the only way we can based on our operating system at that moment. Before the action takes place the brain effectively fools us into experiencing that we chose to perform the action. (It is interesting to note how the sense of self changes over time as a result of what happens to us). There is no malice involved. The brain is acting blidly, just like a computer. What this means is that at a fundamental level 'you' are not truly responsible for 'your' actions. There is no You!

The fact that we perceive ourselves as selves is a wonderful thing, but it does come with some considerable down sides, and actually leads to a large number of the worlds problems. Having an insight into this, and how the brain is functioning can help alleviate a lot of these issues. This is what meditation and mindfulness is all about.

More on this later.

The meat computer formally known as the village idiot.xD

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

OK folks, I'll leave you with this thought. It is quite a useful way to wrap your mind around what I perceive to be the reality.

Your brain is exactly analogous to a computer. We all experience the world as a concious experience slightly differently because we are all running a slightly different operating system. Lets say mine is Windows version 5326 at this present moment (our brains are fantastically powerful computers)

The precise nature of the operating system in any given moment dictates the output of the computer. The operating system is constantly downloading new software, but in any given moment the operating system (your brain) is only able to produce outputs (your thoughts and actions) that the operating system is capable of.

Just like a computer, your brain is a slave to it's software. A computer produces images on your screen, giving the illusion that it has mulled things over and presented it's findings. The truth, as we all know, is that the exact images on the screen are all that could have possibly arisen given the state of the software at the time. Our brains, and the thoughts that arise in our minds function in exactly the same way. If your computer gets a virus it changes the output of the operating system, just like Charles Whitman's brain tumour.

Our operating system is constantly putting out computations. It controls our breathing, our heart rates, our movements our thoughts, our emotions and everything else. All of these outputs are automatic, emerging from the exact state of the operating system in any given moment and environment. The illusion that we are willing any of these outputs into existence is just that, an illusion. There is no 'us' in the driving seat. 

The human operating system is so advanced that it is able, automatically, to develop a perceived sense of self. This is a quirk of our operating system which has been naturally selected for as it was very useful for helping us survive in the world. Other animals have some sense of self too, but in general it tends to decrease with brain size.

We act in the only way we can based on our operating system at that moment. Before the action takes place the brain effectively fools us into experiencing that we chose to perform the action. (It is interesting to note how the sense of self changes over time as a result of what happens to us). There is no malice involved. The brain is acting blidly, just like a computer. What this means is that at a fundamental level 'you' are not truly responsible for 'your' actions. There is no You!

The fact that we perceive ourselves as selves is a wonderful thing, but it does come with some considerable down sides, and actually leads to a large number of the worlds problems. Having an insight into this, and how the brain is functioning can help alleviate a lot of these issues. This is what meditation and mindfulness is all about.

More on this later.

The meat computer formally known as the village idiot.xD

PHEW !

24 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

I hope that was a PHEW of relief Stubby. That would definitely be the right response.

Some people descend into an existential meltdown but there's no need. It's all good!:thumbup:

Its a Phew of I can just about understand it as I read it but would have no way of explaining it credibly to someone else . I  "think" my brain is windows 98 :( . I get the " in the zone " thing re snow boarding . I used to do a bit of motorcycle racing and the  zone feeling was when you were sorta looking 2 corners ahead , your peripheral   vision was computing on its own , you felt slow and smooth and actually put in your best lap ever .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Its a Phew of I can just about understand it as I read it but would have no way of explaining it credibly to someone else . I  "think" my brain is windows 98 :( . I get the " in the zone " thing re snow boarding . I used to do a bit of motorcycle racing and the  zone feeling was when you were sorta looking 2 corners ahead , your perifeal   vision was computing on its own , you felt slow and smooth and actually put in your best lap ever .

Perfect Stubby! That is your brain acting without the cumbersome sense of self getting in the way.

Is free will free?...  On some levels the brain might work on auto pilot, but it also has a lot to do with environment.. 

IE, sure, your, brain might make choices pre determined for itself, but its the environment that shapes your choices...   

In that respect your free will is a slave to the environment..

If its raining out, you get a coat on..  you don't chose a coat if its sunny..  

If a man kills his cheating wife, as much as environment pushed him in that direction, he still choose to kill his wife.. he had an option to not kill his wife..   He/his brain had a choice.

the killers actions should not be judged on how the environment shaped his action, but on his crime...   

In the real world, it doesn't matter if your choices in life are predetermined or not, what counts is bringing your choices to account...